Great toe fusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

Hoping for some advice I had great toe fusion 4 weeks ago today to hopefully alleviate pain.This surgery is following on from bunion surgery 4 years ago unfortunatley 3 weeks after this surgery i fractured and displaced the bone so was in moon boot for 12 weeks and pain never really improved despite removing metal work and having steriod injections. Was advised that the next step was the toe fusion so here i am.

I am still in quite a lot of discomfort and have noticed that when i remove surgical shoe for showering my toes and side of foot turns a funny blue colour and goes cold after about 5 mins i am aware of not fully applying weight but is this normal. also i know i have to wear shoe for 6 weeks and was told strict bed rest for 2 weeks post op but wasnt really advised on what i should be doing at this stage wondering if im doing to much and this is causing the problem

I will look forward to replies

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think you should make an appointment to see your podiatrist ASAP as that doesn't sound at all right. I had mid-foot fusion a year ago, so not exactly what you've had, but close enough to think that sounds wrong.

Let us know what they say.

• Posted

The foot does go blue that's normal. It's because if the poor circulation around the nerves where you had the fusion. This changes in time. Since my surgery 3 months ago, I am now only getting a dark pink color...As to strict bed rest, I wasn't told to. Just to take it slow, definitely rest is highly encouraged though.

I'm headed to my surgeons tomorrow for an appointment and I plan on asking him why I can not get a my foot into a show (wide shoe). Because my big toe was fused naturally it wont gender like before...it sickens me and I'm so depressed as I need to get back to work!!

Take it slow as you're still healing.

They say the swelling and nerves aren't really 100% healed for 1 year.

Hope this helped

(I had all 5 toes broken, pins in 4 of them, vig toe a plate and screws then fused).

Karen

• Posted

Hi there,

i am 4 weeks post big toe fusion (1st MTP joint) on Monday and too have experienced a change of colour. If my foot is in a downward position, the colouring turns purple which i was told is expected at this point as swelling is likely to occur for a considerable number of weeks post op. I haven't experienced a change in temperature so I would maybe call your doctor for advice... does your foot feel cold to touch?

I am mobilising with a surgical shoe and crutches.

After a slip i accidentally put some weight on my forefoot for a very short period and wondered if anyone knows if this may have significantly lessened the chances of the procedure being successful! this is a redo from a failed attempt 19 years ago and i'm anxious at the thought of this not working again!

thanks.

• Posted

REQUEST a xray of your foot, your surgeon will do approximately two or three xrays as you heal.

In 3 months I've had 3 xrays. The xray will show your progress or regression as to how your foot is healing.

• Posted

Thanks Karen, i have an appt on the 20th Feb so will ask for an x-ray. In the meantime i'll be more careful and hope for the best!

• Posted

you had some good advice from here and it would be nice to hear how things are as you hopefully improve. Also Kay 033.

i myself will need fusion of both big toes and probably surgery on lesser metatarsals quite soon so as well as you getting help your posts help those of us who will need procedure. I have v tight calf muscles and that puts more pressure on forefoot so have recently had a calf loosening small op called a gastrocnemius recession which has helped with foot pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.