green hair

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on levothyroxine 100mcg for about 32 years and never had any issues. When I started on estradiol and prilosec about 12 years ago, I took all three pills together and at the same time. WRONG! I was never told that the estrodial and the prilosec affected the the absorbtion of the levythyroxine. A few months ago, I started having low thyroid symptoms similar to the ones I had when I was first diagnosed all those many years ago, except with a new very strange symptom. My hair started to turn green-ish blond! I had very pretty silver hair, and I don't color my hair. I'm currently awaiting new test results and have discussed this with my doctor. He has never heard of this odd side-effect. Has anybody else heard of this or experienced this?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I've never seen the green hair with hypothyroidism. My hair became dry and frizzly when i was undercorrected. i can imagine that different hormones shouldn't be taken at the same time. How much time were now told to leave between the different meds?

• Posted

I remember in the early days of my hypothyroidism I had the befuddled idea that sea kelp tablets ( containing iodine ) would help and started to develop a green tinge to my skin after a couple of weeks but it didn't change the colour of my hair. You haven't been washing it in vinegar have you? Same shampoo, same water, same towel? Check the patient information leaflets for all your meds.

Stranger side effects have been reported.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.