Green light after failed Uro-lift

Posted , 11 users are following.

One week after Green light Laser surgery. 3 days since cath removal.

2 days after peeing out a piece of the uro-lift. I am able to hold my water

longer each day. Leakage has about stopped. Still getting a worrying amount of blood,

but less often. Still stings quite a bit at the end of peeing..

I know this is REAL soon after, so I'm not getting all excited.

I'm giving myself another week before going back to work. I rushed

it last time with the uro-lift and was miserable for 2 days at work and had to go home the third day.

Slow motion at work was bad enough, but unable to sit/stand for any length of time

sucked as well.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey John

I hope all get better for you. Did they say why the Urolift did not work. It did open you up right

Take care Ken

• Posted

I thought after the first 2 weeks when the irritation and swelling went down, it would start getting better. I had asked when I could stop using the tamulosin, he said finish what you have and you should be good. I went about another 10 days on it and stopped. with in 72 hours I was in pain when trying to go. By the time I got my script started up again I was spending about 10-15 minutes in the bathroom once an hour to get any relief. 48 hours after resuming the flowmax, I was able to start going easier.

I sure didn't want to stay having to use flowmax because of the side effects.

Dr said SOME people need to continue use of it. I resigned myself to the fact I may have to. 3 months in they did another flow rate and there was no significant change from pre-procedure. Between then and 8 months later it got slower and more painful. That's when he suggested another treatment.

I'm sure it works for some folks, but it wasn't the route for me. I'm only a week after Green Light, so I'm not 100% yet, but so far it's going ok.

• Posted

Sorry that you had a problem. Did you have a median lobe maybe you needed more clips.

To late now I hope you get better and you will not have to deal with the side effect from the surgery.

Good Luck......Ken

• Posted

John,

I am really interested in your progress with Greenlight and hopeful that it will solve your issues. When you said: ".. I was spending about 10-15 minutes in the bathroom once an hour to get any relief. That's exactly what's happening to me. Had a PAE a year and a half ago, slight improvement in conditions, but now getting worse again. This 10-15min in the bathroom every hour goes on for me day and night - never get much sleep anymore. Have to do something soon. My only options, based on my insurance, is Greenlight, TURP and a second PAE. Still not decided what to do.

Tom

• Posted

GL has been around for fifteen years and has stood the test of time. The original equipment has been upgraded at least twice so is better than when I had it in 2004. One of the two original URO's doing it in the UK told me 'At first we thought it was a very easy procedure then we realised that it needed more care" 😃 I'm glad that I got a careful one.

• Posted

Hi, Tom and John,,

I'm not medically qualified so feel that perhaps I should refrain from expressing medical opinions. But, on issues of hydrodynamics I might be able to help.

Going back to the original post by john0076, I assume that ".... get any relief ....." means relief from the urge to urinate? From a logical perspective this could be due to a large amount of urine being retained in the bladder which would reduce the amount of free space available to store urine coming from the kidneys. If you measured the quantity of urine voided each hour and found this to be small (for the sake of argument, say less than 150 mls.) then any means of fully emptying your bladder would provide a temporary solution that would get you out of the nightmare situation you seem to be in now. Even if you completely emptied your bladder a few times in each 24 hour period, and suffered the hourly events for the remainder, it seems to me that this would be a positive step forward.

I hope that you will soon find something that will work for you.

Warm regards and best of luck, alan86734.

• Posted

Just to reiterate some thoughtful help, which I had received...

For folks who don't want to end up completely blocked (think they call it AUR) a simple self catheter-ization (CIC) could release the mounting pressure and fully drain the bladder. The CIC could be utilized periodically, say once a week for some, or even nightly for others (more or less frequently as the situation demands); thereby relieving pressure / discomfort and allowing some sleep.

Just glad some kind folks on this chat-room made that recommendation to me. I find it certainly has lessen the extremely urgent situation I was in. Now I have "some time" to search for my prayed for "Best Choice Procedure". Not that this CIC is what I want to live with, but it's definitely better than what I was struggling with.

Best of Luck Brothers.

• Posted

Hey Chuck

Yes CIC is good to do if you are looking for a procedure. Just make a list of what you want and what side effect you do not want

Take care Ken

• Posted

Not always but more common then not, 50-75 ML over 10 minutes.......no fun time AT ALL.....obvious that it wasn't emptying. .....and it usually hurt like hell.

Like I said, only about 10 days after GL, so I will keep posting every few days or in the event of some news flash....

Keeping my fingers crossed......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.