Green Light Laser Surgery Worked

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I had the Green Light surgery three months ago and I can report that it has worked very well for me.

The back story is I am 55, physically active, eat well, and generally take care of myself. Back in February I had what should have been a simple inguinal hernia surgery/recovery but a day post surgery I could not urinate. An emergency room visit and of course I go home with a catheter and directions to see a urologist. Three days later the urologist removes the catheter but I still could not urinate. Back with the cath and he schedules a bladder scope test for the next week. After that test I still couldn't urinate properly thought the test results were normal. Cath back in and I'm scheduled for a cystoscope the next week. After the cystoscope test I still couldn't urinate so cath back in. I had to wait for five days to see the urologist for the cystoscope results which seemed like forever since I was in so much pain, bladder spasms etc. He said that all functions were operating correctly however the spike I should have when urinating was very weak - really? Anyway, I have now been sporting a catheter for four weeks and at my wits end as to what was next. Finally he recommends the green light surgery and honestly at that point I was open for anything to get back to some semblance of a normal healthy life.

I had the surgery in March, went home with a catheter for five days - for some men it may be for only a couple of days but with my recent history he felt five was appropriate. Once I had the cath removed at the office I was able to urinate completely. I was ready to kiss the nurse! However, I had the usual post GL surgery events - blood in the urine, some burning and pain for the first five days. Two weeks later I started to urinate out scar tissue - not painful just a strange sensation - like described n the brochure. I will say that during the first four weeks post cath removal I regressed and was only urinating 100-150ml's and sometimes going five times in an hour. I called the urologist and he said it can take up to three months for that to go away which is not comforting when you think of trying to go back to work. Finally week four I eliminated a great deal of tissue and it was like the spicket was opened and I just started urinating like I was back in my twenties. I just saw the urologist for a three month follow up and all is well.

I wanted to post this in the hopes that anyone contemplating this procedure will know of a success story. I was looking for such stories of a positive outcome to reinforce I was doing the right thing before my GL procedure and for peace of mind.

FYI, something else I did for a positive outcome was a guided visualization for post surgery healing for thirty days - I know some may say it's crazy but I believe in the power of the mind. I also saw an acupuncturist for a month as well.

Lastly, I was on Rapaflo during the recovery period and stopped about three weeks ago. The retrograde ejaculation I was told was highly probable was true while on the Rapaflo. Once I stopped I actually started to have a more normal wet ejaculation again.

I wish you well if you are having similar problems and hope this helps in some way.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kevin  I am happy that it all went well for you.  But to me it seams like you were fine before you had your inquinal hernia surgery . The surgeon did something wrong that he was not suppose to do and you ended up paying the price.  Having another surgery.  You could have lost you ejaculation.  I am happy it is still there for you.  There are still men of age that feel that they need it.  At 61 I still enjoy it sex and all it has.  I did have a urolift done because I did not want any cutting.  Urolift does the same as Turp or Laser.  It makes a tunnel so you can pee better.  I Hope all will continue to get better and better for you.  Take care  Ken      
    • Posted

Ken,

I did have some symptoms prior to the hernia surgery - dribbling, urgency. I definately needed to include that info in my post - it was late when I wrote it, but no excuse since that is important to the back story.  it sounds like your urolift was the best solution for you and I hope you are doing well. In the end each of us has a number of options and we can only hope that with a good urologist and armed with as much online research we can make the right decision.

• Posted

If you had no prostate symptoms prior to your hernia surgery it would appear that the anesthetic caused your retention as often happens. What did they actually say about your prostate after the cystoscopy did you have BPH? If not why the GL?

• Posted

Derek,

You ae right that anesthetic can cause retention. My urologist and GP both concurred that it should not last for over four weeks. I did have some symptoms prior to the hernia surgery - dribbling, urgency. My fault, I should have included that in my post but forgot in my hast to write late last night.

• Posted

Hi Kevin,

Did you have any symptons and/or were you treated for bph/luts prior to your hernia surgery? Symptons such as retention, urgency, weak stream, dribbling, etc?

Jim

• Posted

Jim,

Yes, I did have some symptoms prior to the hernia surgery - dribbling, urgency. I mentioned to Derek that I should have included that in my post but forgot in my hast to write late last night. I think I just got used to those symptoms since they happened over time vs. all at once.

• Posted

Thanks to Ken, Derek, and JIm for there response and asking about pre hernia surgery symptoms. I did have some mild issues with urgency, dribbling and - I can say this post GL - that my stream had diminished. I forgot to add this to my post which was an oversite on my part because that info is important. It is interesting that I got used to those symptoms since they happened over time and just lived with it thinking it is just a part of being post 50. My dad, uncle and grandfather all had surgery for enlarged prostates back in the day so I guess it is no surprise that I inherited that. In the end, the hernia surgery was the trigger to an underlying issue that I was just living with.
    • Posted

@kevin "I can say this post GL - that my stream had diminished.

----------------------------------------------

Am I reading this correctly, that your stream got worse after GL? 

I think both Derek and myself were wondering if the GL was really indicated so a better question might have been:

How would you describe your symptons/issues before the GL surgery to your symptons after GL.? Related, do you know your post void residual (PVR) prior to the surgery and do you know it now?

Jim

• Posted

TYPO: Please substitute " Hernia Surgery" for GL surgery" in the last paragraph of my previous post. 

• Posted

James,

My symptoms pre hernia surgery were moderate. The first four weeks after the catheter removal post GL surgery my symptoms were worse. Week five I started to improve after voiding a great deal of scar tissue to the point of a normal stream and emptying the bladder fully.

I wasn't tested for post void residual before my hernia surgery, but I just had it tested and I was at 20ML retained. I drank a lot of water quickly before the test so I figured I would have some still present - plus it took the tech a while to set up the ultrasound after I voided.

• Posted

Kevin,

Glad things are going OK now. 

From what you said, including your family history, sounds like you would have needed something done at some point anyway, just maybe not this soon. 

Like Derek said, Postoperative urinary retention (POUR) is common after anesthesia, and one could question whether or not your doctor's gave things enough time before doing GL.

I only mention this for others reading this in a similar situation, as in your case it's obviously after the fact.

Jim

• Posted

Jim,

In my case I couldn't void for over four weeks, according to both my general practitioner and urologist that was significantly beyond when anesthesia could be the cause. I agree everyone reading this thread needs to take what I have posted as just one example of a result of GL surgery.

Kevin

• Posted

Yes it seams like the hernia surgery cause you the problem.  Why did you not wait a little while longer for it to clear.  Maybe do CIC till your bladder got better.  I had a few surgery that the dye and the anesthetic cause me to have a problem peeing.  They kept coming in and trying to put a catheter in me.  I told them no.  It took me 14 hours to pee 50CC after my Heart Abalation.  I know it was not 4 weeks but wanted to know.  Men are different and some can put up with more.  I was not taking a chance on them messing me up  ken 
    • Posted

I understand, everyones circumstances are a bit different. I have no regrets at all with the GL procedure. I am glad I did it because it worked.
    • Posted

GL is a tried and tested procedure and has been around now for about 14 years.
    • Posted

Yes thank you.  I have not had a attack since it was done.  It's been 8 month's..  Was in the hospital 9 times last year.  I go to the gym and I have lost alot of pounds.  I once was 325 pounds.  I am done to 190.  XL shirt and a 36 pants  When I was 325  I was a 3XL and a 48 pants.  Off most of my pills and I am going to kept going.  i may get married again.  And going to enjoy all of it.  Take care  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.