Greenlight or TURP for BPH?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have BPH, symptoms being urinary retention and recurrent UTIs. My urologist recommends surgery, and has ruled out a Urolift due to my having an enlarged median lobe. That leaves me with a choice between TURP and GreenLight laser, and he’s really pushing TURP. From everything I’m reading however, the Greenlight procedure seems just as effective, and has lower risk of side effects and a much shorter recovery time. Above all, I’m seriously concerned about sexual side effects above all. I’m 57 years old, and I’m not ready to “cash in my chips” just yet. I already have ED issues, and the thought of further sexual diminishment is leaving me quite depressed. Is my doc pushing TURP because he’s more experienced with it?  Are there other options? I’m wondering if a second opinion is advised. Any feedback from guys who have been through this?

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

CIC, is when you use a straw like device, which is called a catheter.  You insert it into your penis and it drains the urine from your bladder.  As far as I'm concerned best invention for men and women with problems emptying their bladder's.  

• Posted

I had Green Laser treatment done 11 days ago. I'm here to say that if had known how painful the recovery time is I would not have had it done. I am constantly running to the bathroom and every time I urinate it is terrible painful. I resulted in taking some pain pills and that didnt even touch the pain I feel. I would have thought by now there would be some healing and a little relief but that is not the case. Doctor told me in two weeks I would have a time when scab inside would release and expel with lots of bleeding. that has not happened yet. I have had other operations for other conditions and none were as painful as this. I am 75 years old and can usually handle a significant amount of pain but this takes the cake for me. at this point I'm wondering how much longer it will be before I feel better. I hope it is soon.

• Posted

Hey Tom

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Doctors do not know how long things will take. He told you that it will be 2 week. I think at your age it may take 4 to 6 weeks or longer. All men heal at different rates.

If you are in pain do take the pills. You do need some relief. Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.