GreenLight Prostate Laser surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had GreenLight Prostate Laser Surgery 5 days ago and took my catheter out 2 days ago.

I am wetting the bed at night and don't know that I need to urinate. Is this normal. I have no feeling in my penis other than pain. Is this normal?

Thank you,

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Who told you to take the cath out 3 days after laser surgery?   I think a minimum of one week after surgery is needed.  Your prostate is still swollen and angry.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your leaking. It happens quite often after GL Prostate surgery. It depends how close to external sphincter urologist went with ablation. Second problem is swelling after procedure so your sphincters are not closing completely.

i had traditional TURP and did not have leakage problems. Neither had EDafter TURP. Had erection first not post op while catheter was still in. 

I am sure Kegels excercising should help solve the problem. It help guys after radical prostatectomy to relearn how to control urination with external sphincter.

MK

• Posted

I had conventional TURP in May 2017.  I experienced leaking one or two day within the first week after surgery but never thereafter.  I think the condition will become normal as time goes.
  • Posted

Frances,

What you are experiencing is very normal.  Very few go through a GL or TURP without some prolonged healing.  I had my TURP in mid-August 2017 and had incontinence issues day and night for 2 months.  I had to wear Depends 24/7 and became despondent over my condition.  I had a very large prostate (100g) and the doctor removed about 70% of it.  My bladder was also "large and floppy" as I was retaining 450ml of urine for what could have been months and months prior to the surgery.  He explained that with either procedure, the prostate tissue is burned away.  Therefore, just as a severe burn to your skin, it takes several weeks to heal.  A new dermis must form over the burn.  This, along with regaining control of your bladder sphincter muscle, can result in incontinence, pain urinating, trouble voiding completely, and other uncomfortable symptoms.  As mentioned above, kegel exercises really do help you gain necessary control.  Eventually, my night time unplanned urination began to lessen and I would awake dry but during the daytime, I might release a stream at any moment.  The doctor prescribed Imipramine which is actually an antidepressant that serves to "reset" some of your body's learned responses stemming from your enlarged BPH where you feel a strong compulsion to void even when you don't have much in the bladder.  That worked for me and I have been under control for the past month.  I feel I've finally made it through the worst of recovery but I know there is some additional internal healing that will continue.

Just try and be patient with your body.  You will get there.

Best of luck,

Doug

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Now it is harder to urinate during the day. At night I can't sleep because that is when

I urinate more. Will this change with time. I still don't really experience a full bladder like I did earlier in my life.

Now I experience an urgency. If you have any info let me know

• Posted

I had greenlight laser 12 years ago.  I didn't have any kind of trouble, but it lasted maybe 2 years, then I had to do a turp.  My problem is that I have an extra large prostate.  It was 141 grams in size.  I think the ;avergae prostate, is around 25 to 30 grams in size.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.