Greenlight prostate surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am having greenlight surgery in 4 days. In August I was admitted to hospital with severe Sepsis due to a UTI.

I spent 3 days hooked up to IV's and antibiotic drips. Could not pee and was straight Cathed Then the nurses taught me how to do it myself so I could go home

Did it 3 times a day for 6 weeks then I got a severe bladder infection. I went to the ER and They put in an irrigation catheter in. Hurt like he!!. It is still in and is the most irritating thing I have ever had.

I am trying to go about my day but it is irritating the skin on my penis where it comes out of my underware. At night I sleep naked with the night bag like when I was in the hospital. Dred morning when I put clothes on and irritate it again moving around.

I wish they would of taken out the huge cath and put in the 16 Foley .

The trama was inserting the irrigating cath.. I was in so much pain that night I just wanted it over.

After they remove the cath post surgery how do you control your bladder.

It will be 2 weeks with indwelling cath

0 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your bladder will relearn what it needs to do. Hopefully won't take long. Some have no problems. Others a little more time. Took me a couple weeks. I don't let it get to the point where I have to go really bad

• Posted

Can I ask what happen to you prostate.  I had sepsis in august of 2014 My white blood count was over 25000....They said the the infection was in my blood stream for about 8 weeks it went through everything.  Was in the hospital They force a catheter in me without my permission but never got it into the bladder did it 3 time even when I told them know.  I pee a hour after they did I was in the hospital for 5 days on IV"s and had a port in for another 11 when I went home.  I ended up seeing a urologist to find out why they could not get a cather in and why I was getting infection..  Had 7 in 2014.  He found out I have a stricture that I got from Kidney stone surgery 10 years before.  I did not have any problem with my prostate till 6 months later.  My prostate closed up.  Had a Uro-lift done 6 weeks later and I have been fine.  Did you look into anything else or is that all you were offered  Ken 

• Posted

Hi. It sounds a difficult time for you. I wonder why they didn't give you a supra-pubic catheter like I had? I had a Holep rather than GL but my in-dwelling catheter was only in for a day. After that I pee'd normally and virtually no problem with leakage or peeing on demand. I hope your GL goes well for you.

• Posted

HI Dai12345, can you elaborate on your experience of Holep? Were there any side effects such as Retrograde Ejaculation? From my research I believe this to be the best cure for BPH overall.
    • Posted

Reading this I thought I would comment since I am 13 weeks post HoLEP. Re side effects I have experienced-- RE yes, ED no, still some leakage at the moment but getting better. This is by far the best approach that is currently available. The only thing that I would highly recommend is a skilled surgeon and by that I mean one that has performend this procedure hundreads of times because it requires considerable practice to become proficient. So ask "How many times have you done this?" 

• Posted

I woud give the same recommendation.  Ask how many GL procedures he's done and how many in the last 6 months.  I wonder if my problem of incontinence is because my doctor was not higly experienced with the GL procedure, even though he's been doing surgery for a lot of years.

• Posted

Let's see. I had Glight about 2 months ago, after self-cathing, 3 times/day  for 9 months. During that time I tried to keep everything as sterile as I could w/o obsessing too much - had a couple of minor infections. Can't be avoided I think. After Glight, I had indewlling for a week, then nothing. Pain and some blood when urinating but no incontinence. Suddenly it cleared - for just a few days, after which I experienced retention again, w. 2 trips to the ER. My Urol was pessimistic, said my bladder might be permanently weakened. I refused an irrigation. Back to self-cath. Just a couple of days later, the cathing was bringing little out - then nothing at all. I was unrinating normally again, and have been for two weeks. Total voiding, strong stream and I have no idea why. Bladder back from the dead. I am 70, eat carefully, in good shape, keep busy. Perhaps I will relapse, and probably will have to have a procedure repeated some day, but for now I'm very happy. "Waffalobill's" comments right on, I think. I hope you are as fortunate.

• Posted

Basically what doc told me. I had a little incontinence . First day after cath was pulled I had alot. Couldn't hold it at all, period. About same day 2. But I had a clot stuck as well. Had to go back to docs get cathed to unplug me. He suspected scaring at first. Pasted a huge clot. Stream got better. Then bladder started to work better. Leaking and such for 2 or 3 weeks after. Not bad. Was told bladder.is a muscle. If it gets touched or messed with in any way. Makes it mad. Throws off the rhythem . Same happens with intestines. Plus anesthesia will mess with muscle moments.

• Posted

Hi All,

This is a very interesting conversation for me. My situation is I had Acute retention a year ago and had to be cathed, I went home with indwelling Foley which was in for 3 weeks, then it was taken out and I just about peed ok without, stream was weak though to be honest. By the next day I felt rough and then by 6pm after 2 hours in bed with some paracetemol I got up and not not pee one drop; very frightening, spent 4 hours waiting in A&E was in agony as i clearly had some infection, eventually cathed, went home again with indwelling foley and anti-biotics and was bed ridden for a week, constipated and much pain and misery and fever! I was offered Green Light Laser but having read a lot on this Forum was not sure I wanted this and then discovered PAE (there is a lot on this Forum about it). Long story short I had this done at Oxford Churchill in Uk under a Nice funded trial in Feb this year and all was good until 2 days ago when I went out drinking for my birthday and overdid it, and ended up in retention yet again and now have Catheter yet again!!  It goes without saying that the diagnosis for me is BPH (Benign Prostate Hyperplasia) but now I am not convinced that the cause is just down to my prostate being enlarged. I think the prostate must flare up, perhaps due to the alcohol, or it could be just the bladder muscle as you say Waffalobill being affected by over doing the drinking. Might the volume of booze As i drank lots  of pints of beer and the bladder retains and then becomes over whelmed. I have not had the classic symptoms of BPH, ie slow flow, frequency, getting up at night, retention. and then suddenly wham I have AUR! What does anyone here think?

• Posted

I forgot to mention the first episose of AUR was after a heavy nights drinking just like this time!
    • Posted

Jezz If what you are saying is true.  You need to limit your drinking.  It will effect your prostate.  Your going to have to stop or your going to have to have a surgery that you don't deen.  Please be careful.  After the catheter is out no drinking  Ken  

• Posted

Yes I think I should curtail the drinking, I think I will do sober for October!

• Posted

Hi Jezz,

I have the same problem. I get acute retention when I drink large volumns of liquid. And it doesn't matter if it's beer or water or wine. All are the same. It's overwhelming the bladder and I can't void at all. Or I can void a small amount every 5 minutes without emptying the bladder. Either way, it gets very uncomfortable. The first time ended with a very painful trip to the emergency room. And a brutal nurse shoving a gravel impregnated garden hose up me.

I'm taking Tamsulosin for BPH but I'm not sure if it's the prostate doing it or not. The Tamsulosin may or may not be helping. But I still have the problem.

I solved my problem by learning to self catheterize myself when I have this happen. It's very easy, painless, and I can still drink beer or wine when I want.

The rest of the time I really don't have any problems. My urologist told me if I am happy doing this, I don't need any surgery. So, of course, I'm happy with it. And happy I can still drink my beer when I want.

John

• Posted

Wow, Jezzaman, very interesting to read that alcohol put you in acute retention. I thought I was the only one! This happened to me end of July - hadn't drank in four years then celebrated beginning retirement by drinking a large amount of vodka - woke up the next day in retention and required a trip to the ER. Since then, wore a foley for four weeks straight before I was able to pass a void test. One thing that might have helped was my uro doc doubling my .4mg dose of tamsolusin to .8mg after the second week. Of course, along with that drug working came 100% retrograde ejaculation! Oh, and following the last removal of the foley, I developed a nasty case of prostatitis, which required Bactrim. Unfortunately this caused a nasty all-over rash on day 8 from an allergic reaction. So now have switched to doxycycline. Uro doc says I need simple prostatectomy because I'm over 50g (100+ ml). I told him no way I'm having any surgery.

All this from one night of alcohol. Just glad to be able to pee on my own. Currently researching PAE - sounds like the way to go for me.

Would love to hear from others who went into acute retention following a night of drinking.

• Posted

Doc told me drinking and smoking would be bad for prostate. Not to start. Never asked him why. Guess now I know. Glad your feeling better. Hope all goes well.
    • Posted

Hi Ptientx 

It might be worth starting a whole new thread on this very subject of drinking causing AUR. I also had acute prosatitis directly upon removal of the Foley!!!

Do not submit to the removal of your prostate, there are far better procedures to choose from. Look up PAE, Urolift, Rezum. FLA, Gat Goren. these as all non surgical. If you have to have a TURP consider Holep.  Good luck,

• Posted

Hi John.

THis is very interesting. Because in your case it sounds like as you say the large volumes not the actual subtance you are drinking. How many times has this happened to you?  DId you get any infections? Have you got a diagnosis of the underlying cause? ie BPH etc?

• Posted

Hi Jezz

I have this happen just about every time I over do the drinking. Last night I drink about 6 pints of beer and needed the cath before bed. I was voiding, but only about an oune or two at a time. I've never had an infection since I've been doing this for the past ten months or so. The urologist says it's BPH. I take tamulosin but it doesn't help when I take in to much liquid at one sitting. It's happened to me with beer, wine, vodka & soda, and water. I only drink about once a week if that, but when I do, it's usually a good amount.

John

• Posted

Hey guys.  This is Ken  As you know I have not been commenting alot on the site.  Not a fan of any procedure that cuts away at the prostate and gives you more problems.  Whatever you pick is your problrm.    Now I want to talk about drinking:  Alot of men have been saying that there have a problem after they drink.  I looked it up and found some interesting things.  Here is something I found.  ALCOHOL is a diuretic, so it increases the amount of urine that enters your bladder.  Alcohol can directly cause the bladder neck to constrict, making urination more difficult and the bladder less efficient.  Alcohol also can hinder the ability of the prostate muscle to relax, further irritating the bladder and making benign prostatic hyperplasia ( BPH ) or enlarge prostate symptoms worse.  Finally, with an obstructed urinary tract, alcohol can trigger a complete blackage.  Who know a few drinks can cause so much problems.  Please men be aware of the problems you can have from a few drink.  There is alot of information on the internet about drinking and BPH and Cancer.  Have a good day  Ken
    • Posted

Forgot to mention: I stopped drinking 4 years ago. I miss the wine w.dinner, but found that there wasn't a problem that alcohol couldn't make worse. I'm not campaigning here - but give yourself every chance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.