Greenlight prostate surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am having greenlight surgery in 4 days. In August I was admitted to hospital with severe Sepsis due to a UTI.

I spent 3 days hooked up to IV's and antibiotic drips. Could not pee and was straight Cathed Then the nurses taught me how to do it myself so I could go home

Did it 3 times a day for 6 weeks then I got a severe bladder infection. I went to the ER and They put in an irrigation catheter in. Hurt like he!!. It is still in and is the most irritating thing I have ever had.

I am trying to go about my day but it is irritating the skin on my penis where it comes out of my underware. At night I sleep naked with the night bag like when I was in the hospital. Dred morning when I put clothes on and irritate it again moving around.

I wish they would of taken out the huge cath and put in the 16 Foley .

The trama was inserting the irrigating cath.. I was in so much pain that night I just wanted it over.

After they remove the cath post surgery how do you control your bladder.

It will be 2 weeks with indwelling cath

0 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I do have retrograde emission which is normal. It doesn't worry me as I was producing little anyway. It doesn't affect my orgasm or anything else. There have been no other side effects in 3 years. HoLep is at it's most useful with very large prostates - mine was 130gm and does require a skilled surgeon. If you are a suitable candidate I don't know of a better treatment.

• Posted

Hello dai - Could you tell me please where you had your HoLEP? Was the morcellated debris removed through the urethra or were incisions made in the abdomen to remove the debris? Thanks. Neil
  • Posted

Hi. Mr Tevita Aho did my HoLep in the Nuffield, Cambridge but I believe he also does this in Addenbrookes under the NHS; Google him. He's a superb urologist and a nice guy. All the work was done thru the penis. It's amazing what they do now. After a day or so there was no swelling and relatively little stinging. There was no retention and virtually no leakage. After a day or so there was virtually no pain.

• Posted

Hi Dial.

I am in Godmanchester 15 miles from Cambridge and if I do not improve after my last AUR (currently have foley catheter in!) then I want to have Holep with Tev Aho, he has a good reputation. Would you say you are 100% pleased with the result? it sound like it was a breeze for you?  Did you have to pay yourself ? or was it under Private HEalth Insurance. perhaps I could talk to you on the phone., or inbox you?

regards

Jeremy

• Posted

Hi again. I'll send you a private message with my email address.Yes, I'm 100% satisfied with the result and even Tevita was suprised when my flow rate at the 3 month sign-off which went off the paper chart and I had no retention. For the first month or so I had a very occasional bit of urine spotting when I sat a certain way but that is very rare now and slight. He warned that a stricture could happen which he said could be fixed but I have no hint of that. I did have a slight amount of blood in the urine for 5 weeks (The Nuffield said it would be 3 days!). Doing the pelvic exercises didn't help so I stopped those after a while. I had my treatment done under BUPA.

• Posted

Hi Dia1234

Can you Pm me as well.

THanks

regards

JEremy

• Posted

Dr removed the cath this morning. Said see you in 2 months. Not to do anything hard 4 3 weeks. Said he has done around 1000 green lights. Bladder will remember what to do. Was running water and had sudden urge and did not make it quick enough. Lucky I am using the depends large shields. Hope that won't happen for long. Going to try a quick trip to the store . Only a mile away. He said will be some burning at first but I have had none. The tip of penis is sore but I expected that after having in dwelling cath for 2 weeks. Will post more in a few days. Has only been 5 now.

• Posted

That would be the best to do for a few days until your bladder gets better.  Ware the pad  Hope things get better for you soon  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.