greetings all! I injured my knee more then a decade ago,I do not believe in surgery .

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been having pain since then and my kneew is usually swollen

what can I do to perminently reduce swelling or is it two late for that? thanks in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was told once that you do not have to believe in something you can experience.

Sometimes surgery is what is needed. If it is permanently swollen and painful then you may need some form of surgery to remove a "foreign body" - there seems to be something that is causing irritation. A cortisone injection may do the trick - but I doubt if rest, icing, compression and elevation don't do much something a little more heroic might be needed.

• Posted

Sounds like it. Alternate ice and heat. Elevated rest will help. However, would suggest a visit to your GP is probably the best place to start.
  • Posted

Clinical opinions a must.  X Rays, scans and so on. Then you can make objective assessment. Have you been down this line as you say it's been bothering you for 10 years?
    • Posted

actually I have seen daoctors.. origionally they said it was  torn ligs and eventually a different doctor told me my knee  was out of place.
    • Posted

I would settle for nothing less than the advice of a qualified orthopedic surgeon. Most of them are conservation in advice on proceedures and sometimes are criticized for taking to much time in diagnosis. Obviously this thing isn't improving on its own. Maybe its not too late for therapy but you may have to make a choice-------------being a cripple for life or surgery. Only you may be able to then make a choice based on your age and the level of activity and what kind of sacrifice you are willing to make to stand by your beliefs. I think everyone on here will tell you its procedure over lifetime of pain because a damaged joint AIN'T going away on its own. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi, I am a nurse practitioner from Australia and I recently under went a left TKR after injuring my knee in 2004. I understand your not wanting to have surgery but if you have damaged cartilage in your knee this may need treatment. Regarding the swelling icing the knee is the best way to reduce swelling and this is what I recommend to my knee injured patients. You may want to discuss this with your Doctor as he/she should be your first port of call.
  • Posted

You need to check with x-ray about the current issue of knee and about swelling it is the same like knee problem or water retention issue. You can go for Reosto.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.