Greetings from New York !

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi all - just wanted to let my fellow hippies know I survived the long haul flight with swollen ankles and nothing else - have been using my stick to walk around Manhattan but also using subway , buses and cabs when the going gets tough ! Went to see my first ball game last night and off on a boat this morning to Ellis island and Statue of Liberty. - wouldn't have been able to do any of this before my op xxx

4 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Bini, welcome to my side of the pond, hope you have a wonderful time in NYC. It can be an exhausting place to visit so give yourself plenty of breaks (try some of those coffe  shops and cocktail bars). Lots of fantastic restaurants, shops, theatres and places to visit so have fun!
    • Posted

Hi Holly

Gosh yes it's tiring - not so much the hip but it's 32 degrees whereas we were expecting spring weather ! I Sam not good at being ' an English woman abroad' and melt in anything over 25 degrees ! So lots of little sit downs in shady places - we are going to the zoo and having a picnic in Central Park today so shouldn't be too onerous - les miserables on Broadway tonight but will get a cab there and back if stays hot

• Posted

Oh yeah, Spring here (I'm in the Boston area so not too far away)  tends to last five minutes. Last week it was cold and rainy and I was in jeans and a jacket now it's hot and humid so it's shorts time. Hope you have a great time.
  • Posted

How brave you are! Enjoy yourself! You've earned it!
    • Posted

Don't know about brave - was booked before I knew I needed hip revision and so not covered on insurance so couldn't cancel ! But yes was determined to come so am glad I've made it xxxx
  • Posted

Hello hello bini

Oh god how l envy you hun. You have a ball and enjoy every minutre of it. Glad you managed your long haul flight to new york 😆

I wish l was you one day l will do New York

Enjoy

Love

Laura

Xx

• Posted

Thankyou Laura - it is an amazing place xxx
  • Posted

Fab news Bini enjoy your holiday

Sue x

• Posted

Hey Bini,

Have a great time in NY.  I'm very envious.  It sounds like a dream cheesygrin

Cels Xxx

• Posted

Well - all was going well until about to board plane home last night . Co pilot fainted just before takeoff so flight cancelled - got put up on a hotel last night , had 5 hrs sleep in a very Uncomfy bed - then back to airport to check in again at 8am - had to stop at a pharmacy for Tylenol and ibuprofen as hip

Protesting +++++ but they are kicking in now . On the plus side we got upgraded to first class so the flight home should be very comfortable ! Fingers crossed no

More fainting flight crew

• Posted

Safe and painfree journey.  You'll be back in your own bed soon Xx
    • Posted

òoooo,that is wonderful. ....enjoy. ..

safe travels

big warm hug

Renee

• Posted

Finally got home at 3 30 am - First class was very nice although ankles still ballooned ridiculously . Had a fab time overall , but on balance and being realistic was probably a bit over ambitious and a bit too much too soon . Tramping those NY pavements was punishing in the unexpected heat of 34 degrees. Had to be done as was already booked and paid for- LOL! - But I'm not planning any more long haul flights this year until I am fully recovered and wouldn't recommend to others to do so ! ( although I did get a very nice Marc Jacobs bag in Bloomingdales which made the whole trip worth it !) xxxx
    • Posted

welcdome home, darling - phew, what an adventure - there is something about New York that makes you just go, go, go - exhausting even with good hips and young !!!!

good job - do you have a couple of days to rest up before going back to your job???  I hope so 

• Posted

Thanks Renee and yes UM off till Wednesday so should be back to normal by then ! Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Bini. When you say you don't advise others to fly long haul after 12 weeks do you mean flying long haul on a active holiday? I'm hoping to fly 10 hours (6 hours stop then a 4 hour) 12 weeks after my second thr but to a beach not a city, do you think this will be okay? X
    • Posted

Depends on you I think Joanne - beach holidays means you can rest properly when you get there at least - we were straight out sightseeing etc - I got a lot of ankle swelling on the plane which became so bad it was quite painful even tho we flew back first class ( free upgrade following delay) I think 6 HR flight is about the longest that can be coped with sensibly - I don't know what age you are and your fitness pre op ? I am very overweight although swimming regularly and was back at work ( f/t nurse) at 6 weeks so mixed fitness . Am sure you'll probably be ok but would check with surgeon , use flight socks , walk to end of cabin and back every half an hour and keep hydrated etc . I think if we'd been lazing on a beach and swimming for the week , and it hadn't been so humid is have been better - I'm not great with temps over 30 degrees anyway - never have been ( would never have made a tea planters wife!) and high humidity just kills me - do you have a longish stop between your two flights ? If so maybe rest / massage etc would help - my actual hip was fine - it was just all the rest of me ! 😀Xxx
    • Posted

Just realised I'd already replied to you Renee ! Xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you Bini

We haven't booked anything yet just in case my surgery is cancelled. I'm 45 but not as fit as I was due to the OA in both hips bringing me to a stand still for 2 years. I'll wait until after the surgery and then decide. The stop in Dubia will be about 1 1/2 hours so plenty of time for a walk about. You did really well being back at work 6 weeks after yr op ! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.