Grief and anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all I recently had a big celebration for my little boy whose father committed suicide 5 yrs ago I have been doing really well except building up to the celebration I found myself feeling very irritable and angry and I cried a few times.. the celebration is now over and went very well but I find myself wanting to withdraw from people now and I feel sad... I had an anxiety attack at a different party yesterday ... I think I am going back into the grief of losing my partner again. I also find it difficult to sit and relax... I am on no medication except the odd sanex.... can anyone explain why this is happening please...I am also highly stressed as I feel like I carry the burdens of everyone in the house on my shoulders.. I have probably over compensated for my children two of which are now 16 and they expect me to do everything still....

2 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

First of all, my extreme condolences for your loss. But it sounds like you’ve done brilliantly up until this point. A son who has a loving mother that wants to do nice things for him. You’re doing an amazing job as a mother. smile

Have you had grievance counselling, or are you part of a support group for widows? There are lots of people who are equipped to help, and there are even more who understand and know what you are going through. You’re not alone. 

Because of your son, you never will escape the memory - you will always be reminded of it - but you can move forward. Even if you relapse into grief after initial grief counselling, you will always be entitled to more counselling. 

If you’re unsure about how to access help, your GP will be a valuable asset in your coping. 

Best of luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.