Gripped with anxiety what can I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi this my first post. I have suffered anxiety on a number of occasions in the last 8 years. I had a bad period in the Summer of 2015 & now take 3 different antidepressants. I have been suffering from severe anxiety for several weeks & now I wake up & soon find that I am gripped with fear & I am finding it really hard to overcome.   Can anyone help?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Digby smile welcome to the forum! Sorry you're going through this, it can be so devastating.

My anxiety is always worse in the morning..as the day goes on it can ease.

There are a few simple things you could try in terms of mindfulness.

Perhaps make yourself a nice warm drink if you wake up early, put the radio on and listen to a talk station...run a bath and busy yourself with some light household chores.

If you have work you could still try and start a nice routine with a bath and warm drink and breakfast, especially if you find your anxiety wakes you up early.

When you say gripped by fear - I assumed this to be anxiety but perhaps you meant something more?

If so this might need stronger measures...perhaps a chat with your GP about your current medication and sourcing therapy? All of these things can help you smile

I hope that helps xx

• Posted

Sometimes I find I am bad for no particular reason. Anxiety symptoms literally all day, muscle tension, tight chest, breathlessness, rapid heart rate, shakes. It's driving me insane. I am perfectly busy in work focusing on my workload and then the next thing I look away from my PC and get shakes, dizziness. I walk the the toilet to freshen up / steady myself and sometimes it feels as if I am drunk, weak legged and panicking! I am only 25 and sick of it gah!

I haven't tried antidepressants yet, prescribed Sertraline but keep tricking myself into thinking I don't need them. Think I do rolleyes

Few things I have learnt though. Cut out all caffeine, I love coffee though find a cup gives me instant shakes / palpitations.

Drink camomile tea. This is probably my resort when really bad. It has a sedating effect and calms your nervous system. Stops shakes, worrying thoughts and calms me as a whole. It's been a life saver, though in work it makes me insanely tired.

Passionflower also helps so much. Herbal remedies are brilliant so far, had more luck than prescribed so far.

Just started Propranolol and it's to early to tell really. I do feel tired physically taking it but a lot calmer overall.

Hope any of this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.