Groin and hip pain 4 weeks after PKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a partial knee replacement 4 weeks ago. I was doing really well. However over last week, I am getting severe pain in hip and groin. I'm in more pain now than first few weeks. I am really worried as I know I have osteoarthritis in the hip, worried that it is getting worse.

Anybody else had this? Could it just be down to the surgery and walking differently? It's a really sharp pain in groin and hip really tender to touch. It's agony ??

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It’s the new way you’re walking, your body will adjust.
  • Posted

I had hip pain at night when I lay on that side which worried me also but no sign of it now 
    • Posted

I can't lie on that side. It's there all the time. Like sciatica pain.

• Posted

I am 6 months post TKR and have had hip pain the whole time, although it has got easier over time.  I’ve had massage and painkillers but nothing has worked totally. Until we walk properly I guess this is something we have to put up with!  I hope it is more comfortable for you soon. 
  • Posted

I am 6 weeks after TKR.  Where I go for PT, the folks there warned me about having pain in hips and other places in your body because you are walking differently.  I would talk to your PT folks about the pain and they should be able to help you.  If they can't I would look for someone that can.  

• Posted

Look up Chico Marx on this thread. He has a great narrative relating to hip and groin pain...why it happens and the various methods to alleviate it. Its not unusual and it had to do with both pre and post op walking. Chico explains all of these things in a very understandable manner, even for a transplanted new Yorker. Be patient with him if you respond as he turned 70 this week and is having serious issues connected with having to hang up his ice hockey skates.

As for me, yeah, I've had some serious post surgery issues with back, hip and groin but my situation differs greatly because of my lifestyle and what's required of me daily. Right now I'm taking steps to a kid surgery because of the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.