Groin inflammation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello

I have LS. But I also developed a rash of spots - very itchy and inflamed - in the creases between legs and pudenda. My GP treated it with a 10-day course of oral antibiotics and also with Fucibet which is a betnovate and antibiotic cream. After about 2.5 weeks my skin was completely red and inflamed and very sore with bleeding raw patches. I stopped using the Fucibet on the advice of the GP and she has now switched me to Daktacort twice a day. This is to be applied liberally all over the creases and labia majora and up the birth crack. She said I had a fungal infection. After 3 days of Daktacort the rawness and itching has stopped. But what I have just noticed is that all of the skin to which I applied Fucibet and then Daktacort is now a very dark purplish black. So has anyone else experienced this skin effect - is it a normal result of treating a bacterial infection followed by treating a fungal infection? Or is it something really odd that I should take straight back to my GP? I am due to see her late next week anyway.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with LS 22 years ago.  The biggest problem I've had dealing with this is that not many doctors know what it is or how to treat it.  It's hereditary, linked to just a few genes and there's no cure so all you can do is treat the symptoms.  Antifungals and antibiotics don't work, in fact usually cause more inflammation. What you need is a prescription strength steroid cream and a dermatologist or gynecologist that is experienced in dealing with LS.

KSK

• Posted

Hi KSK

Thanks for your speedy reply.

My LS is being treated with Clobetasol. My GP has dealt with 100 patients with LS and she says none has so far shown any Squamous Cell Cancers because of speedy treatment of the LS symptoms.

The skin condition that I talked about in my leg creases is in addition to the LS. However, because the bacterial infection and then the fungal infection involved my labia majora, then the treatment I mentioned has to involve that area and the vulva as well. Now everything is this dark purple colour. It has turned this colour in just 3 days of treatment with Daktacort. Really wierd. 

• Posted

I Googled Daktacort side effects and under the NHS found that skin discoloration is one.

You're lucky to have an LS-oriented gynae. I thought Dr. Goldstein had a record number of LS patients, but my gyne's reginal/rural practice has 1000. I'm starting to see we're not really so rare. It's just that GPs don't unsually know LS when they see it.

• Posted

I agree with this.  I have merely controlled the condition with the steroid cream (used sparingly) and barrier cream on my parts along with frequent washing with water after urination.  Now that the labia are distorted, urination can splash onto my parts, so a quick dab with water soaked cloth or toilet paper and then dry off seems to keep the itching and the 'tingling' sensation that I associate with active LS and deterioration of my condition.  I have told practitioners that I think the 'tingling' is significant and that is my cue to use the steroid cream.  I think that is when tissue changes can occur.  These measure have kept the LS under control and the tissue changes have stopped/slowed down now that I use them.  It has taken trial and error to discover these.
    • Posted

Hi, You haven't mentioned how long you have been dealing with LS.  I would be interested to know this from all of you.  This skin malady is progressive over time as to how much damage it does.  I personally had an experience with a physician who claimed to be familiar with LS.  My skin was fused in several places both outside and inside my labia.  I went under anesthesia for vaginal dialation and this idiot physician just tore apart the areas of fused tissie. It was a horrible experience and I have not seen a doctor for this since.  
    • Posted

Thank you for your warning and sorry this happened to you.
  • Posted

Hi TBF,

I read up on Fucibet and it says pretty firmly not to use it for more than two weeks.

A couple of years abefore I was diagnosed with LS, during a stressful period of my life, I noticed my inner thighs were getting raw from (I thought) wearing courduroy pants and taking long walks. But even though I stopped the walks, the rash spread and stayed for a long time. This was ten years after I'd decided not to use cortisone cream on my skin (after 30 years of use), so all I did was try different things like aloe vera juice, oatmeal baths, etc. Nothing worked, but it eventually calmed down along with my life.

I now believe that thigh rash was a flare-up of LS that happened when I became sexually active after seven years of celibacy.

I do seem to recall some ugly discoloration, which happens on a small scale on our labia.

If you have access to a dermatologist, I'd see if I could get an 'urgent' appointment. The reason I didn't go was I was sure she'd only give me cortisone, which I would have refused. If it happened now, I'd get it checked. If it is, in fact LS, then the skin could tolerate clobetasol on it, which I think would calm it right down.

That said, I do believe yeast likes our LS bodies and you may have had a bad yeast infection that got infected with bacteria. For that matter, maybe that's what I had. My thighs were swollen and tender. I was miserable!

• Posted

I would go back and see the GP and ask her straight out whether it is normal or not...is there anything on either medication leaflet of contra-indications..
  • Posted

I has a rash on my inner thighs like that caused by overuse of clob on the vulval area - the excess cream migrated to the tops of the tighs and thinned the skin causing the purplish discoloration.  Once I got advice on how much clob to use the rash healed up quickly.

• Posted

Hmmm, that's interesting and so helpful, Kate! A worst-case scenario of using clob. I never knew what it really meant when they said be careful not to let it melt over onto healthy skin, but here you are with experience!

When I have my twenty minute soak and then apply it, I use three tiny bits that add up to a total of 'pea-sized'. Then I also divide the 90 seconds into back, middle and front as I apply the bits. There's no way there's any left on the surface when I'm done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.