Groin pain 4 months after hip replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm very happy for everyone that has had fantastic results from their surgery but this groin pain is miserable and I would love to hear from someone that has had the same situation and what they did to resolve this, or even a medical person that could shed some light on this!  I've done it all PT, stretches, icing and heat along with walking on my treadmill taking Advil I'm so over this!  Please if you can help a gal out!  

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Perhaps you should rest a bit and take it easy for a few days, excursion may not be the best thing at the moment.
    • Posted

True it almost is how my day ends😩  I just would love to have this gone!  I have an appointment next week so I'm hoping that I get some relief!  Thank you so much for your response.  

• Posted

Wow that’s awful! The only groin pain I experienced after was about 3-4 weeks post thr when Dr told me I was in general probably overdoing it & to cease my PT home exercises, rest, elevate & ice to give it time to heal. It was prob 2 weeks before the pain went away & I didn’t do any more exercises except walking until 10 weeks. What does your Dr say?

• Posted

I have an appointment next week so I'm hoping that the surgeon can help me!  Thank you so much for responding to me.

• Posted

Paula, I think you should see your surgeon again promptly. I am not a medical person. I still have thigh pain 6 months post THR. One doctor thinks I might have psoas tendinitis but since the groin pain went away, now he isn't sure what my thigh pain is caused by. There are some reports of psoas tendinitis after THR and a surgeon can determine if he thinks that is the cause of your groin pain. Someone on this forum told me about this psoas tendinitis. Sometimes a steroid injection is ordered both for diagnosis and/or relief. Make an appointment with your surgeon. You need relief from this pain, plus continuing to aggravate it might not be a good idea. I'm due to see surgeon next week again about my continuing thigh pain. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

I have an appointment next week with the surgeon so I'm hoping that he can do something to elevate this pain it's horrible thank you so much for responding to me!

• Posted

I like the method of diagnosis that Lady Reid had for her groin pain..ultrasound. If that's a possibility for you, it's easier than having a steroid shot. Good luck smile

• Posted

I agree and my thought is to request that to see what's going on.... or a cat scan with contrast dye to see if there is any fracture or complications in the groin area or replacement.  We will see thanks

• Posted

Hi Paula

I had groin pain around 4 months and put up with it for a couple of months but two weeks ago went back to surgeon and had an ultrasound scan and was diagnosis with psoas tendonitis. I was given a cortisone injection and have been resting... now no pain and will start back stretching, mobilising and building strength but slowly as do not want to irritate my psoas again. Apparently this is common after a hip replacement. Good luck 💞

• Posted

I have an appointment next week and I'm hoping that he can do something for this it is horrible.  Thank you so much for getting back to me!

• Posted

Hi Paula.  I had awful groin pain which started 6 weeks after op.  They X-rayed to make sure nothing had moved and then I had an MRI.  I was told it MIGHT be labral tearing, bursitis or iliopsoas tendinitis.  Steroid injection didn’t do much good but my doctor gave me a muscle relaxant to help with the spasms.  The good news is over time it just eased off and went away.  I got very tired of being told what it might be!  It’s very frustrating that even with all the diagnostic tools they often still can’t say for definite.  Hope it eases off for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.