GROIN PAIN AFTER Total Hip Replacement- Hip Tightness after THR

Posted , 69 users are following.

IMHO this happens far more often than is recognized by the doctors and physical therapists. If you have groin pain after a THR investigate if it is your psoas muscle and Iliopsoas Tendinitis. Your physical therapist should be able to easily find your psoas muscle and push down and you will recognize that is where the pain is coming from.

AFTER TWO WEEKS- If you CAN do this,

Lay flat on your back on the bed with your shoes off

Keeping your heel in contact with the bed, bend your knee and drag your foot up towards your butt

But CAN'T do this

Lay flat on the bed with your shoes off

Keeping your leg straight (don't bend the knee)

Raise your foot up off the mattress (you are using your hip muscles for this)

AND your groin hurts like HELL in certain situations, but not all situations, you probably have iliopsoas tendonitis.

You need to pay attention and be VERY careful. Think of tendonitis as little small rips into the tendon. What you need to do is rest the tendon and don't do anything to make the tears bigger (deeper). You want to not aggravate it, let it rest and let those little rips heal up.

Most people think that they simply need to exercize or stretch more, and in fact this is the opposite of what you should do, doing that only makes it worse and can result in a permenet condition as scar tissue will form over the rips.  Trust me on this I had tendonitis in my IT Band that I ignored, kept on working, that tuned into a perment condition (Tendonosis). It actually disabled me, so I am rather an expert on Tendonitis.

During your hip replacement they have to manipulate your leg and move it into positions it is not used to, this can pull that psoas muscle/tendon. OR your prosthesis is to big, or placed wrong and you will have this conditon until they go in and fix that.

Since I previously had Tendonosis I recognized the pain and symptons immediately. It was confirmed by my physical therapist. What I did was not exercize at all for 3 - 4 weeks. That is the amount of time it took for that iliopsoas tendonitis to heal back up. Only after that was healed up did I take up exercizing again, my physical therapist simply gave me leg massages during this time.

I found I had to lay down on the sofa not sit in a chair, as sitting in a living room chair was just a bad position for that tendon, so I layed around until it healed. What was very odd is that sitting in the chair wasn't that much of a problem initially, but when I got up from the chair it hurt. The good news, it did heal up just fine and I have had no further issues with it.

Google -  iliopsoas tendonitis after hip replacement

There is one woman on here I was able to help. Her prosthesis was digging into the tendon, her doctors did a surgery and did something (not sure what) and that fixed it. I know she did not have to have her prosthesis removed or changed out, instead they did something with the tendon instead.

Another woman I was able to help, she was doing great after her THR, about a month/ 5 weeks after her THR she was stepping off a pier to get into a boat and that is where she injured her iliopsoas tendonitis. Of course she was "stretching" and exercizing thinking that would help, which it did not, she followed my advice, simply rested the tendon by not doing anything that aggravates it and in about 3 to 4 weeks she was fine also.

If you have pain in your groin it is either nerve damage or the iliopsoas tendonitis. Nerve damage will travel down to your foot, Iliopsoas Tendinitis will stay sore in your groin area.

I am not a big fan of rigerous exercize right after surgery anyway. Think about it, they cut off the top of your leg bone and shove a stick in it. It simply takes time for that stick to get knitted back into the leg bone. I was forced to not exercize because of the iliopsoas tendonitis and at 4 weeks I started. In a matter of one week I went from using a walker/trolly to walking completely on my own with nothing. I just focused on keeping my back very straight and not bending over, in other words being very attentive to keeping good posture. I am more of a fan of , don't push yourself, let the bones heal up, when the bones are good and strong you will be able to get back into the swing of things very quickly. Good Luck to you.

----------------

Here is Shaye's reply to me---------------

Interesting that you say 'as sitting in a living room chair was just a bad position for that tendon' as I find sitting on an upright dining chair doesn't feel good after about 10 minutes. Driving is easier as I can tilt the seat back. In the article I read it said experiencing the pain getting out of a car was a sure sign this was the problem but so far I've only done the 'knees together and swivel' like we did when we wore mini skirts haha!! Next time I get in the car I'll try it the way I did it before I ever had a hipproblem.

Hi again Shayes

An update- I wentto my physio last week with info I'd printed off the internet re iliopsoas tendon weakness/inflammation. Now I know it's always difficult to see a 'medic' with info you've gleaned yourself but I've never been backwards in coming forwards - if you know what I mean! After a bit of discussion he got me on the couch and started prodding around the groin area - where I have most pain. he found a few very tender areas. he admitted it looked as if my iliac muscle was inflamed. One of the exercises he'd given me was all wrong for this and was making it worse!!!

He showed me how to massage it myself, which I've been doing for 5 minutes twice a day and it's soooo much better already.

According to the internet this is quite rare but it usually shows up later rather than sooner - I'm 15 weeks post op. However, when I talked to my brother about it he said he had the same thing 7 months post op!! One of the classic signs is pain getting into or out of a car- when you put one leg in/out first. I just can't do that, it's too painful.

And then my reply back-------

FWIW it will take about 3 to 4 weeks to have that Psoas muscle/tendons heal. IF after about 2 months it doesn't get any better you will most likely need a small surgery. I went from tendonitis to tendonosis (and you can look up tendonosis) of my IT band. Thankfully the THR totally fixed that, and that was a huge relief as my IT Band tendonosis caused me more pain than my bad hip. Please please take very good care of your psoas muscle so that it does nto beocme permenent. I didn't with my IT band and I suffered for 3 years, I was basically handicapped because of it.

My phyical therapist is the one who about 2 weeks in after my surgery told me it was my psoas muscle, he went and felt for it. He knew. When we had our THR they are moving that leg around in positions it never normally goes when they are dislocating the hip, this is what causes Iliopsoas Tendinitis. If you think of it this way it kind of makes sense doesn't it? Lay down rather than sit, lay around for a month and hope like Hell it heals.  If you have to get into and out of a car, wear pants and lift your leg by pulling up on your pants with your arms so as not to aggravate that muscle. Don't do anything that aggravates that muscle, pray that it heals. If after 2 months it never does heal go back to the orthopedic surgeon and ask for a small surgery to repair. Trust me you do NOT want to suffer with tendonosis all your life, it will handicap you. It is orthepedic surgeon who treat your tendons also. tendons and bones work together so that kind of makes sense to me.

5 likes, 106 replies

106 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi jodi , thank you for coming back to this ... things have changed a bit since - On May 13, last Wednesday, I had my follow up visit (8weeks post-op) with my surgeon - operated hip is doing great  (muscles need to get stronger) however, x-ray showed that cartelidge in left (=good) hip has Deteriorated a lot in 6 months time ... I will probably need L THR .... sigh .... 
    • Posted

I' m sorry to hear that Renee, however I am in the same boat. I have not gone to the doctor yet but I totally feel my left (non operated) hip going. It's managable for now be we know how this is ultimately going to turn out, don't we. When the time comes I will at least be better prepared than with my first one.
  • Posted

hi Jodi

blimey i kept on hunting for these symptoms on this site but only just found you since you made a cheeky comment about codeine as my secret word - its actually success. and yep i am straight back to sleep.

I have been in a bad way since my thr in Dec 13 with symptoms as you fescribe - as well as leg length and wonky hip - so i now live as a house elf and can drive inly vert short distances.

Heres my bit about adding to the understanding. Yes i do have these symptoms but they have gone in longer because the surgeon and now 2 second opinions say the length of the head is too long. This puts my psoas and glutes in permanently tight and makes any walking up awful and i am very slow as i can literally feel everything tighten as i continue to walk. The only solution is to replace the head - a medical scientist described me as being jacked out and up.

I am due to have other hip replaced soon and my consultant hopes that the very small chance that this will help my operates hip and avoid a redo.

From reading the posts this is far more common than the literature you can find on google. As i only found this thread by accident how could we get it more discoverable so that others could be helped?

cheers from chris (happy after another solid 8 hour sleep) wink

• Posted

I seem to be experiencing some what of the same. 

May I ask did you have the postier approach or the anterior?

I had the anterior approach and hate to say it but kind of want my arthritic hip back as this new pain is almost unbearable. I had a cortizone injection 1 week ago and it felt better for 2 days - but the pain has returned in full force.

Mine is not so much in the groin but down the whole front of my thigh starting at the top of the hip bend. When I stand up  can not apply ANY weight to that leg. Slowly as I apply a little weight at a time and after about 15 seconds it goes away. Was this your experience also ? 

How can they identify a rip? MRIs are out due to the mental implant. Will a CT scan show?

• Posted

emm, MRI's can be done post joint replacement. As long as the metal is not magnetic, and the metal they use for hip replacements these days is not, you can have them. I had THR last July, and have recently had MRI's of my lumbar spine and hips. The main problem with MRI of an area with a metal implant is that the areas near the implant look kind of wavy on the scans. That effect can be reduced by the use of specialized kind of MRI called MARS (Metal Artifact Reduction Sequence). I had a MARS MRI of my hip, and another one (for a different doctor) that also used the metal reduction technique. I studied the scans on my own computer, since you get given a CD afterwards. You can see a lot in pretty darn good detail.

My new orthopedist used the MRI scans to diagnose my torn gluteus minimus tendon, which is why I have had a limp and pain that never went away post surgery 7 months ago. I need surgery to repair the tendon/muscle damage. Hope to be able to walk normally and without pain some day.

I had the anterolateral approach, and they must cut/separate the gluteaus minimus and medius muscles (among other things) in order to get at the hip ball/socket. Sometimes things don't heal, as mine have not.

• Posted

Jodi,

I just had THR posterior surgery 9 days ago, and whenever I do certain exercises from the PT, my groin spasms...or it feels like a cramp...but it's a good 10 seconds of agony and then goes away.  I CAN drag me heel up like you describe, and I CAN'T do the leg lift.  In fact I was so surprised because I could do everything else pretty well. 

During several of the PT exercises I get this crazy pain, and I've only been in the car once yesterday, and yelled out for 10 seconds of so until the pain stopped.  I'm not doing several of the PT's anymore that trigger this, but is there anything about the two week mark that I can hope this will go away? 

Other than this I'm really mobile for 9 days, but I do feel a general tighness in the groin and it was very swollen after surgery.      

• Posted

I have some info.  I developed this same ileopsoas tendinitis two weeks after left hip and two weeks after right hip replacement.  The surgeon denied it could be the hip causing this.  He sent me to a rheumatologist and low back surgeon, wasting my money.  He is considered the best surgeon in the state!  He got so frustrated with me.  The pain became so severe I could barely walk.  I was in misery.  Finally, he put cortisone in the trochanter bursa and the pain went away in a couple days.  When the same pain occurred after the second hip, I got the cortisone.  I have also tried cortisone directly into, by ultrasound, the tendon.  That did not work any better than just doing the bursa.  So every three months for five times each hip, I got cortisone.  I went to PT and stretching made the pain severe and debilitating.  I also had several dry needling from the PT which did nothing.  

The good new is, each hip ileopsoas tendon took exactly two years to heal.  I have been going to PT again  and stretching- the pain nearly made me pass out.  But the pain resolves over night now.  After about two weeks, I can do the stretches and it feels good and I don't feel like passing out.

so there is HOPE!  The worst part is not knowing if the horrible pain will ever go away.  It does.  My suggestion is no stretching because that aggravates it for the first two years.  Then cortisone in the bursa just to survive.  Pain meds don't help,at all.  Most doctors seem clueless to what this issue is.  I had to do all the research.

• Posted

Hi Jodi, when was your surgery?

I've had 2 orthoscopic hip surgeries one on each hip. My last orthoscopic surgery only helped for 6 months and I had complete hip replacement including my socket. My surgery was done they the front of my leg. Everything is titanium It was done Jan 20th 2016, about a month ago I gradually started getting pain in my tendon and groin area. Now it's horrible, van barely lift my leg to get pants on and getting into my jeep, I literally lift my leg to get it in the door.

I've read what you wrote and I'm so hoping it's something that will go away without another surgery.

Please let me know your thoughts.

• Posted

Thank you for taking your time to share this valuable experience. It is wonderful to know I am not alone and your advice has me thinking twice about attempting to stretch, immediately after I felt this pain for the third time post-THR! Allow me to explain smile

I was born with congenital hip dysplasia and underwent surgery at U of Iowa in the mid 1960's, when doctors weren't yet familiar with modern era testing at birth. I owe my thanks and ability to walk to the late amazing orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Ignacio Ponseti, founding father of treatment/techniques for congenital hip dysplasia and club foot/feet. I was subsequently casted and wore braces until 12, continuing developmental evaluation through my early 20's with a full and active childhood, running track and cheerleading through college.

In my early 20's I started having significant pain and local to South Florida well renown orthopedics are advising hip replacement sooner, rather than later. I returned to U of Iowa and Dr. Ponseti came out of retirement to see me (he's almost family given our long history). He and his successor, Dr. Weinstein, whom I've known my entire life as well, wisely advise me to prolong the inevitable reconstructive surgery and hip surgeries until after having my two beautiful children.

A few years after childbirth, I'm in my mid 20's and end up at Boston Children's Hospital Harvard for Ganz Osteotomy, a 9 hour reconstructive hip surgery. This is done to reshape the hip socket for better femoral head coverage and the ultimate hip replacement. During this prolonged surgery, the iliopsoas tendon is moved to reach the hip socket causing stress on it and post-op does not fully recover.

Fast forward a few years and I'm in my mid 30's. I am at Rochester, MN Mayo Clinic for hip resurfacing and end up having a THR because my hip to too far gone and it cannot be postponed, given I am in unbearable pain trying to prolong the life of my natural hip. Post-op, I am nearly pain free and relieved!!!

A few years and a few ER visits later, I have had my hip nearly "pop" out of socket bc I'm only 50 and lead an active life. The pain is excruciating, quite like you'd expect with a hip nearly come out of its' socket. It only subsides when I've had enough medication to relax the damaged iliopsoas tendon, as well as the muscles associated.

Today, I stood up from sitting on a deep sofa for an hour and was slammed with a similar pain. Not quite as painful, my son helps me to lay down on my back and calls his father. My husband has seen me through all of this and knows the drill. This time, however, I'm not screaming in pain and want to try to relax without going to the ER; it's just not that bad yet. I try a few stretching methods I've learned and a few my son has from years of baseball. It's not helping, as you've predicted!! I start researching ideas and find this site. I'm listening to you and will rest until I find relief!! My deepest thanks for your advice leading me to think twice about how I may be hurting myself more by doing what seems like a good idea!!

Keep up the good work, it's not fallen on deaf ears smile and best of luck to all of you!!

• Posted

Hi Linda- I had congenital displasia as well. I was born in 1957 and went through surgery, crutches and years of terrible pain. I had my THR in 2005.  I would often get what I would call toothache pain in my operated hip that would last for weeks. Muscle relaxers, etc would do next to nothing. I can get some relief from acupuncture. The pain always amplifies with my worry that there is a serious problem.  The best success I have had is through seeing a pain management doctor. I came to find out my pain was originating in my lower back, radiating to my hip. I have had steroid and blocking injections that made all the difference in the world.  I do believe that 50% is caused by worry that the implant is in failure. It has been at least 6-8 months since the last episode. I am sure it will return at some point.  I would suggest that you consult a good Pain Management physician who does more than prescribe opiates, etc.  The injections as well as the procedure to cauterize nerve endings is pretty painless and very effective.  Try not to let worry exemplify the pain as well.
    • Posted

Thank you, Skippy! You are completely correct in that the mind is extremely powerful over the body's wellbeing; positive or otherwise. I've been there, myself, and found the same result; I must think positive even though I'm terrified of what I know are all the possibilities. It's amazing how the fear of extreme pain, once experienced, can leave me frozen if I allow it! I did spend the first day slightly frozen and cried to my hubby bc he's been here and seen how bad it can really be when it's real. I stopped those thoughts and decided "it is what it is" and not to continue borrowing more trouble than life already dealt. A few days on crutches and rest later and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train!! My pain management doctor had talked about the injection for my cervical spondylosis but my resources and insurance make that an impossible endeavor, at this moment. I try to remind myself, it could always be worse wink Thank you for your support!! And sending you all good thoughts for your own personal hip recovery!

• Posted

I had thr almost six weeks ago. Everything is going well and hoping to drive this week. I can lie comfortably on the operated side but not the other which seems unusual. I still have a swelling near the groin on the operated side which doesn't hurt but still wonder if this has something to do with the other side sleeping problem. X-ray due in two weeks.

• Posted

I had exactly what you have described with the tendons and bad fitting prosthesis. I told previous specialist several times after ld had op but crated and said it was fine. I thought l was going mad. I stuck it for 9 yrs. l went to a new specialist he knew straight way what it was. Now don't know if it's been successful yet as it's only 6 weeks in. It's caused me so much pain and a double op which l may not have had to have. Fingers crossed it's ok.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.Pat. Really couldn't face another operation at the moment so hope all will be ok eventually.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.