Groin pain and burning sensation 12 weeks post op

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi there I'm new to this group and apologise if what I write is a repeat of others. I'm 12 weeks post op after the left side due to dysplasia. I haven't had one day totally pain free, I get a lot of pain in back of both legs for which I'm having deep tissue massage (which helps for a while) and groin pain. Surgeon said post op xrays look fine but I get this horrid burning sensation just below scar but GP and surgeon said there's no infection and constantly feel like I'm sitting on rocks! I'm really fed up and disheartened by the whole thing, I know I needed to have it done but was expecting to feel better than this by now. I do some exercises and stretches and have started going back to work for a few hours 3 times per week (mainly out of boredom). Back on basic painkillers (ibuprofen and paracetamol) but I'm not sure they do anything. Does anyone know if these pains eventually go away? I feel like giving up completely!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi debbie,

Do you massage your scar with oil to break up the tissue. I felt like I was sitting on a rolled up towel it can also hurt and tingle ocassionally it has to heal. Surprised you are taking painkillers after 12 weeks though.

• Posted

Hi there, yes I've been massaging the surrounding area since I had the clips removed. I had stopped taking painkillers completely but started again 2 days ago. If I could get rid of the pain in my backside that would make all the difference. Physio said it's a mix if hamstring and glute weakness which he is helping with. Maybe I'm just impatient!

• Posted

give it time I advice you ask for stronger pain relief I'm on major pain relief and still it hurts I'm surprised your. working at all it can take two years to return to normal I do not think burning pain is right I get it surgeon keeps saying it's ok but I have cried sometimes in pain I have sleeping pills and still wake up several times good luck see GP if you need help

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, the burning pain is nasty just hope it goes away soon. I'm not doing much at work really, it relieves the boredom. I did (and still have) take some fairly hefty painkillers but I really don't know if they did much so stopped taking them. It's all a bit soul destroying, just want to get back to normal!

• Posted

Sitting on rocks, or as I described it, a pile of golf balls, is very common.  It does go when you manage to build up the muscle surrounding your new hip.

You have had a major operation, so some pain is to be expected,  we all have different pain tolerance too, and start with different ailments (your dysplasia), and different fitness levels.  This all affects how we recover.

This time around, I was much stronger in the legs due to exercise and going to the gym before my hip shattered, so I am now having a very quick recovery compared to last time.

I have never experienced the groin pain so many report, so I cannot comment on that, sorry.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Thanks Rocketman, it's nice to know someone who has done well since the op, gives me some hope that things will improve.

• Posted

Oh Debbie, sorry to hear this,

I would have thought it would be worth speaking to your surgeon/consultant again and physio.  Do you lie down flat every day for 30 mins or so with shallow pillow to allow hips to open and relax?

Good luck, Kx 

• Posted

Hi Kate, yes I do manage to lie down with a pillow and it does help for a while. I see my physio every week or 10 days and he does relieve the pain for a while and given me gentle stretching exercises which also help for a while. It would just be nice to get up one morning without some sort of leg pain for a change!
  • Posted

Hello Debbie. Very sorry to hear that you are making slower progress than you want. You have not said anything about how you are doing with your walking can you tell us please. Cheers Richard
    • Posted

Hi there, I can walk ok, depending on pain although a bit slower than I used to, I haven't used any sticks since week 6. Physio said my walking wasn't too bad but my "gait" needs tweaking slightly. I can walk around, if not too many hilly bits for quite a while and try to use exercise bike at least 3 times per week.

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I know exactly how you feel. I am 8 months post op. and am still having groin and thigh pain. Like you the ex rays show hip is ok, it's the muscles which seem to be the problem. Some days it seems worse than others, I have had some physio which has helped a certain degree but I had hoped it would be better than it is. Hope you feel better very soon. With good wishes. Mary

• Posted

Thank you Mary, as with most things you tend to think "is it just me?" at least now I know it's not! Good luck and best wishes to you too.

• Posted

Stick with it.  My first THA was easy, so easy that I was driving less than two weeks after the surgery.  The second was the exact opposite.  I am 6 months out from a revision surgery to repair a fractured femur ( no one will even venture a guess about when that happened even though I complained at the hospital on the day of the surgery about unusual  pain and weakness).  I still can't walk without a cane and have extraordinary weakness and pain. At this point I find my surgeon is treating me with platitudes, eg. everyone heals differently or suggesting a third surgery to cement the second prothesis into place.  I am on the edge of seeking a second opinion.  So don't accept what is happening.  Demand a CT scan and nerve conduction studies.  It's your body.

• Posted

Oh dear, your situation sounds terrible and puts mine into perspective! I think I'll give it a couple more months before I do anything else as I really can't stand the thought of more treatment at the moment. I wish you the best of luck and hope someone can give you some answers in order to fix the problem quickly.

• Posted

I had both groin pain (so common) and burning sensation in thigh. They started shortly after op.  I have hopeful info. as I’m now 18 months post op. and have other problems relating to other conditions I have but the burning sensation, which they think was nerve damage, has all but gone.  Gabupentin drug did nothing, but time worked eventually and now I only notice it occasionally.  Groin pain can be tendon damage which can take a while to heal.  Nobody seems very positive about steroid injections which don’t  have a great success rate.  Of course it could be something more serious but don’t give up hope as just maybe these problems will go.  You’re only 12 weeks post op!
    • Posted

Thank you for the info, it's helpful to know that someone else has had it and possible reasons why, thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.