Groin Pain, Iliopsoas Tendonitis or Impingement After Hip Replacement

Posted , 43 users are following.

Chronic groin pain 8 months after Anterior right hip replacement has brought me to this board where I am finding what doctors say is very rare that it is indeed not rare but very common.

In reading posts I am finding some commonalities. It seems the anterior approach or super path hip replacement. I don't see a lot of posts about groin pain from posterior approach.

I need your help in gathering feedback. If you have groin pain after hip replacement, please let me know and who the manufacturer is of your implant..Yes the manufacturer of their implant everyone should know..You just don't get an implant without knowing what it is...

For example: I had anterior right hip replacement in FEB 2017, and had Stryker ceramic implants.  The hip implant manufacturers changed their diameters of the femoral head several years ago and I feel that is the cause of alot of groin problems.

IF U.S. I would like to recommend everyone check their doctor out here. This website is part of the Medicare/government site.  unch. It was even more surprising to find all that money came from Stryker...Put your doctors name in search tool, $$ will come up in one tab, the other tab tells you what company paid it.. THis was part of medical transparency act , which is part of Obamacare...Needless to say Stryker ceramic implant was not the best choice for me personally as i have already been told by independent dr. (Sorry i dont know what the sites are for other countries)

Please let me know if you are having groin pain and type of surgery you had.So many people are having this, its shocking!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

1 like, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Please send me the link to the Medicare site. Like the others, 5 months after THR, anterior approach I have severe pain in the groin to the knee. I can do the a lot of excercises, mainly hurts to walk upright. Xrays if the hip show no problem. Am awaiting MRI. I am comfortable lying or sitting which is a blessing.

• Posted

I am 52 yrs old and had a right anterior THR January 6 2020 due to torn labrum and some arthritis causing me to be more and more limited with my activity. So, I am 9 months post and I have had groin pain, side hip tightness and extreme butt muscle tightness as well. From day one after surgery I told Dr. that it felt like the stitch was stitched too tight in the area that is right above scar where iliopsoas would be. They told me it was just from stitches and inflammation from surgery. At my 6 week follow up my Dr was convinced it was a hernia and scar tissue and said inner thigh tightness and groin pain is not caused by hip replacement and sent me to a hernia Dr. I took time to see hernia Dr but there are no real tests to confirm groinal hernias so he put me on high fiber diet but it did not help the groin pain or tightness. I went back to OS Dr. about 2 months later and he told he did NOT think it was a hernia at all but scar tissue and that I needed to continue with stretches and get into massage once they were able to see people again due to COVID closing them down. You can imagine how confused I was. He was very dismissive which was very disappointing. The stretching and massage has helped but I cant seem to walk for more then 1.5 miles before my back and knees seem to get tweaked and hurt. I swear it is from these tight muscles and tendons that are not getting better. I swear that the surgery leg is a tad longer too that is also not helping. I have regretted doing the surgery since I could do more before the THR but was usually in pain at night and could not sleep on that hip. It was starting to affect my knee and cause knee pain also which is why I finally did it. It has been so frustrating and depressing as I analyzed getting this surgery for 4 yrs. I finally went back to the OS physician assistant who I like better then actual Dr and she thinks it is my iliopsoas tendon and suggested I get the injection to see if it helps the tightness and if not then possibly the snip of tendon but I am really hesitant to do that as Im afraid more things will go wrong. This has just been sooo frustrating as I heard so many success stories which is why I did it. I feel like I traded one problem for several new ones. I have cried so many days over this and really regret having it done. Thanks for starting this group so we can ask questions/vent.

• Posted

My r THR is about 14 months old i have very little soreness anymore however about 2 months ago i started having pain in my groin (same side) i went to see my surgeon and he treated me for tendonitis with steroids worked like a charm while i was on them but now im back to the same groin pain

i will find out the brand of my prosthesis

please keep in touch

• Edited

yes my groin pain started at around 3 1/2 months after my total hip replacement on my left leg. It started I noticed when I was doing higher hip flexion I continue to do it thinking maybe would make it better but it made it worse. I can do things in the gym like ride the bike , ellipticals and stairmaster because those machines add momentum and don’t rely on total hip flexion. could not do those machines as it got worse and worse in my hip closer to my surgery. So grateful I can do them today. However Total hip flexion is very painful trying to get it to 45°. It’s very upsetting after everything I have been through to still have some issues like this creep up on you looking for any advice or help that could possibly get me out of the situation If I can add any additional information let me know. Thanks Connie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.