Groin pain post-EP study

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. Last Wednesday (it is currently Monday the 25th) I underwent an EP study for possible SVT. I say it this way because I ended up not having SVT at all and have a healthy heart with no abnormalities! I am only 23 and thought I had an episode in July (went to the ER, got adenosine, etc etc) and thought I was having repeat episodes all throughout the month of September. I was also on metoprolol so I wonder if it was messing with me. In actuality I was having tons of panic attacks and mistook them for SVT. My doctors and I thought it was SVT because I had never had anxiety issues/panic attacks before.

SO - I went through with the procedure last week. It was only 2 hours because they only had to run the EP study since I didn't end up having any issues. Very thankful and still glad I went through with the procedure. However, I am now on day 5 and I am still feeling rather sore in the groin area. They went in on both sides. One of them is bruised a tiny bit but the other is not. Funny enough the non-bruised side is causing me more pain.

I tried to look up other's experiences on this part of the procedure but its hard to find people who have discussed it before. Is it normal to still feel groin pain this far out? I was able to drive to work today but it was just uncomfortable when standing/walking. My discharge forms said to call my physician if the pain isn't gone after the 2nd day but I think that is a bit unrealistic to expect it to be entirely gone by then.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I also would like to mention that the insertion sites do not appear to be infected. They have both scabbed over regularly and aside from the bruise there doesn't appear to be any redness or irritation.

• Posted

I don't remember how long it was exactly but I know at 1 week after my groin was still quite sore, but by two weeks it was mostly fine. I remember on July 4 going out to see fireworks and after walking and standing a lot it was getting sore again, and my ablation was on June 22nd. 

• Posted

That is not unusual to still have some groin discomfort. I had it a little longer than that. The main thing you want to look for is any drainage from those sites, hardness or a knot there and any swelling or redness. And if you have any of these or a fever, call the one that did your procedure right away. Otherwise it may just take a few days longer for the groins to stop aching. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.