Grommets

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

Been suffering with md for bout 7-8 yrs finally had a grommet fitted on Monday this week, just looking for others that have had this done to get any feedback on how it’s worked for them, had mine in for nearly 3 days now and have not noticed any difference whatsoever so does anyone know how long they take to kick in if at all, if anything my ear feels fuller with load tinnitus than it did before was inserted many thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I had one put in on my insistence, due to desperation before going to high altitude for a ski trip. At first my ear felt worse and I began to regret it. Slowly after about a week or so my ear began to clear. Sounds weren’t distorted anymore and my overall daily dizziness seemed to subside.

That being said, tinnitus never went adjust got lower. I thought I was cured until about a month and half later had my first full blown vertigo attack with high pitched ringing. It was very disheartening and I’ve had two more since.  I do not regret it because overall there is still improvement. I am also on dexamethasone ear drops that I put in every other day. Not sure if they make a difference but can’t hurt to try.

My ENT said some people have complete “cure” of symptoms with this procedure. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

I'm getting one done tomorrow, along with a steroid injection. I think they're also giving me steroid ear drops to try at home. I'll let you know how it goes - but the steroid injection will initially make things worse, so I need to give it a couple of weeks at least

• Posted

It's now 10 days since the 4th steroid injection and grommet, I had a few rough days with vertigo, but am now feeling much better - went out for a longish walk yesterday, and took the bus to go out in the evening. I haven't been able to do that for months. Ear fullness is gone, no tinnitus, and fingers crossed vertigo has settled. The first few days after the grommet went in the inside of my ear was really itchy, very odd sensation

• Posted

Hi it’ll be 2 weeks tomorrow since my grommet fitted and to be honest I’ve not noticed any improvement if anything the tinnitus has got louder and hearing is definitely worse, haven’t been advised by my ent about steroid injection would you recommend speaking to them about this
  • Posted

Had a grommet and steroid inserted. Didn't work on me and was left with perforated eardrum which didn't heal due to my age 65. Having said that the perforated eardrum doesn't cause any problems and is good when flying as no pressure builds up in that ear. Good luck and i hope it works. I actually got MD about a year after I had the procedure.

• Posted

What is that, I had MD for 4 years and just had a full blown vertigo attack that lasted like two weeks. I hate this disease with a passion I rather have anything else almost. They gave me orednisone but my hearing is almost gone . Praying it doesn’t go to my other ear
    • Posted

Hi Judy so sorry to hear that. To my knowledge and what i have read MD is suppose to subside over the years. I use to have bad attacks at the beginning but after 2 years now the attacks are certainly not as severe. Are you taking Betahistine. They work for a lot of people including me.
    • Posted

The Doctor just put me on meclizine, so far so good. I hate I even have this ear issue. Life is so much better just being normal. I worry about this 24/7. For four years I knew I had it but really no systems except for the hearing loss, now since I had the vertigo attack due to Stress I think and bad eating I can't get rid of the dizziness unless I take a motion sickness pill. Im hoping with meds and a low salt diet that I can keep it at bay and not lose my hearing so fast. That last attack I could hardly hear at all out of my bad ear, it has come back but not even at 50%. Do you know with meds and diet if it could stay at bay?

• Posted

Hi judy i have been on Betahistine for nearly 2 years and low salt diet no caffeine or alcohol and can say that it hss certainly made a difference. Don't know what meclizine is.

• Posted

Hi

I suffered MD for 18 years which was kept under control with

SERC for about 15 years. Suddenly my dosage of 2 X 16 mg per day didnt work and the attacks returned. I was prescribed 6 tablets per day but was still looking for a solution besides medication.

I was referred to Dr Sean Flanagan and he inserted a gromet in my left ear in August 2018. since then I have not had an attack. I still have occasional bouts of slight dizziness or a feeling of just being ' off kilter' but without the nausea and violent spinning. For me its been a great success. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Dadlew how did the grommets do to you? Did your vetigo stopped after inserting them? I am going to have them inserted in 2 weeks time. My consultant wants to do this before the gentamicin injections. I had steroids injections about 6 weeks ago which didn't help with the vertigo at all. Also he told me that the grommets fall out itself after 9 months. Did something like that happen to you? Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.