Grommets for patulous eustachian tube?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My ENT surgeon has suggested grommets for eustachian tube disfunction which i have in both ears, although i'm not convinced this is the correct thing to have. The reason being is that at the very end of our recent discussion, he said grommets will help unblock the ears and equalise the pressure. However, my ears are not blocked, quite the opposite in fact. After doing a lot of research myself, i suspect that the symptoms indicate patulous eustachian tube, which is where the eustachian tube spends too much time open for what ever reason, resulting in autophony symptoms and generally everything being too loud, as if my ears are constantling "popped". I dont see how grommets will help. Should i get a second opinion before going through with the operation?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Rory I just read your initial post. Looking at your tympanograms, there is no way you have PET and very definitely do have ETD because the negative pressure is extreme in both of your ears. I think the ENT is spot on in inserting grommets if he can't do balloon dilation of your eustachin tubes. He would need to tell you why you are not a candidate for this as ballooning would be my first option because it won't leave your middle ears open to infection and water.

• Posted

Thanks for this. When you say ballooning, do you mean the valsava manouvre? This was what my initial ENT told me to do, holding a balloon over my nose and blowing into it. Or do you mean something else?
    • Posted

No not balloon over the nose. Eustachian tube balloon dilation is where a balloon is inserted into the eustachian tube, blown up and opens up the eustachian tube. It is a more permanent procedure. I don't get how on earth it works but if you Google it, you will find a lot of information. 

• Posted

Well that makes a lot more sense now, so thanks for all your advice.
    • Posted

Hello, i just realised that the readout i provided was when i was first seen by a private ENT, when i did have an infection and perforated eardrum. Both of those cleared up after a course of antibiotics within a few weeks.

However, in subsequent visits to an NHS ENT (when i basically ran out of money and had to go back to the NHS) I wasnt tested at all for a tympanogram, it was merely a visual inspection. Should i have been?

• Posted

a pressure equalising tube is also known as

tympanostomy tube, ventilation tube or

grommet.

Perhaps this will shed some light...

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.