Gross Hematuria Tests Negative

Posted , 7 users are following.

35 yr old Male Non-Smoker

2 months ago I was having pain in my prostate so I went to the doctor thinking I had a prostate infection ( which I have had a few of in my life ) anyway , blood and urine tests came back negative for infection. Fast forward until last Monday I woke up and urinated with the same pain including a lot of blood in my urine . I have never had gross hematuria before . So I went back to the doctor that day and had a blood test, a urine test and a CT scan . Which all come back clear. So he told me if I were having pain still to see a urologist. Went to a urologist yesterday had another urine test and a scan of my bladder to make sure it's being emptied. It was clear as well as my urine test. So he told me if I had anymore issues to come back. I am still so nervous. He assured me if I had anything bad or serious wrong it would have showed up on the ct scan. Should I just move on and forget about it and stop worrying it get another opinion. I just dont understand why I would have pain in my prostate and burning in my urethra and blood in urine of everything was clear. Anyone else go through this ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I went through something similar. I peed blood. Not pink or red urine just thick blood. Lasted 10 days. Came back 3 months later. This went on for a year. Intensity gradually got lighter. Until it stopped about a year leter. No one ever figured out what was wrong. CT scan, cystoscopy. Hope you get better

• Posted

I had blood in my urine, and it turned out to be a stone in my bladder. The urologist, went in with a laser, and broke up the stone. I'm stone free now.

• Posted

I have suffered from chronic prostatitis for 25 years and I would get several bad infections a year which involved peeing blood. Like you they never found anything. I eventually went on a low oxalate diet and I haven't had blood in my urine since even though I still have chronic prostatitis. The low oxalate diet has reduced the intensity of the pain and the frequency of the flareups also. The speculation is that even if you don't have bladder or kidney stones visible on x-ray or CT scan you might have micro crystaline stones that irritate the lining of your urinary tract.

Flomax and alfozosin have also been very helpful for me.

• Posted

This made me feel better , thank you so much for taking the time to reply

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your woes.

While I have not had your symptoms (I have plain old cancer with no pain), I recommend:

1. Keep a bottle with a large mouth (or a container) with you to pee in when you get the urge. Hopefully you'll catch some blood which could be sent to the pathology lab. After you pee, place the bottle or container in the refrigerator if you're not going to deliver it to the pathology lab immediately; AND
    2. Only see a urologist who will probably arrange a cystoscopy (which is a visual exam of your bladder).

Good luck!

• Posted

I too had two episodes of bright red urine within the past six months. Since then, I've have been randomly and sporadically passing blood clots. No pain has been associated with any of it. I do have random jolts of sharp pain in my prostate. Any time I have been checked by a urologist, except that I have an enlarged prostate, all tests return negative. After my last exam, I was told I have a vascular prostate, and basically that I have to live with it.

• Posted

I too had two episodes of bright red urine within the past six months. Since then, I've have been randomly and sporadically passing blood clots. No pain has been associated with any of it. I do have random jolts of sharp pain in my prostate. Any time I have been checked by a urologist, except that I have an enlarged prostate, all tests return negative. After my last exam, I was told I have a vascular prostate, and basically that I have to live with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.