Group d enterococcus urine culture

Posted , 4 users are following.

i just had 2 urine cultures come back showing group d enterococcus. they didnt specify which strain. i have had a fever, burning, kidney pain. im really scared from what i have read this group d is really bad about getting into the blood stream and causing sepsis. the dr refuses ro treat it even tho i have symptoms of uti and now kidney infection. o have had utis before but always ecoli. this is all new and ive seen three urologists ans all refuse to treat it or do a succesptibilty test to see of antibiotics will treat it. i also have wbc, rbc, and bacteria in my urine. i really want them to treat it before it spreads into my bloodstream especially since i have kidney pain now. has anyone else ever had geouo d enterococcus uti?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

First of all, I think they no longer user the Group D term. UTI's from Enterococcus are usually either E.faecium or E. faecalis.

I do not understand why your urologists choose not to treat you. Did they give you a reason?

I believe I have Enteroccus in my urine now, but I am asymptomatic. My story is that I had an symptomatic Ecoli UTI that wouldn't resolve. It went on for about 7 months. I finally got rid of it when I stayed on an antibotic for about 2 months straight. However, after that, 3 urine cultures showed Enterocccus and high numbers of them too. Yet, I had no symptoms. The last culture I had done was 2 years ago and I took 10 days of Nitrofurotoin for it. I have reason to believe that the bacteria is still in my urine, but I have chosen not to find out. I say that because the new protocol is not to treat with antibiotics unless there are symptoms. Doctors are worried about antibiotic resistance.

When I found out I had the Entrococcus, I researched it, so I am aware of what problems it can cause if it gets out of hand. I worried about it a lot but now try to keep it out of my thoughts.

Your case is different because you have significant symptoms. It's really baffles me that 3 urologists refuse to treat you. Until you explain why that is, I have no suggestion I can give you. Perhaps see an Infectious Disease Doctor rather than a Urologist. Frankly, during my 7 month stint with my ecoli UTI, I also saw several Urologists and an Infectious Disease Doctor. It's alarming how not up to date some doctors are on UTI bacteria and treatment.

I will tell you that from my cultures, there aren't very many antibiotics that are suseptible to Enterococcus. Nitrofurantoin is one and I think Ampicillin and Amoxcillin. If you are desperate, see if you can get one of these antibiotics and self treat.

• Posted

i see an infectious disease dr also and she wont treat either.

the first 3 cultures showed mixed flora. so comtaminated they say. then 1 culture came back 1,000 geouo d strep and them yestersay 10,000 . one of the urologists gave me amoxicillian because i demanded it but thatbwas when it was 1,000 then anither culture taken after the meds showed it frew to 10,000. they say it low numbers so they wint treat it again even tho i have symptoms. i stressed to the infectious disease dr and urilogist that since i have bowel priblems also that im scared of its not treated ot will comtinue to grow and get worse

• Posted

Ok, I understand. They won't consider it a UTI unless it is 100,000. So the amoxicillan didn't result in eliminating the bacteria? As I've read, and you probably have as well, this bacteria is resistant.Are you taking any probiotics for your bowel problems?

Interestingly, one of my doctors used the 'contaminated' excuse for my culture as well. My last one showed 50-100,000.

I'm curious if dipstick shows positive on leukocytes. Also, when you get the culture, do they do a microscopic?Are you in the USA? Do these doctors see that you have an elevated temperature?

I think you won't likely find too many posters on this cite that have had enterococcus. It doesn't seem to be that common for UTI. From what I read, it usually starts in hospitals or nursing homes with people that are really ill with low resistance.From reading, mine came from overuse of other antibiotics allowing enterococcus to proliferate.

• Posted

Your info to bunifer78 sounds good to me as my bout with it was identical to what you described even with high wbc and consulting an infectious disease doctor who assured me that was normal.

• Posted

Also Oliver, it has been established that the older one is, the more common to have asymptomatic bacteria in the urinary track. I am 73.

• Posted

may i ask what antibiotic finally got rid of it and if it ever spread into your blood stream? that is my biggest fear. that they wont treat it and wont find where its derived from

• Posted

Have had enterrococcus as diagnosed by a lab report and was treated with antibiotics but without the symptoms you describe. It's noted as difficult to treat so wish you better success in finding a qualified doctor to control it.

• Posted

may i ask if you had it found in a urine culture? if so, what antibiotics did they give you? did it clear it up? did you have any other issues with it moving to your bloodstream or showing up again after antibiotics?

im comcerned its derived from somewhere else..

• Posted

may i ask if you had it found in a urine culture? if so, what antibiotics did they give you? did it clear it up? did you have any other issues with it moving to your bloodstream or showing up again after antibiotics?

im comcerned its derived from somewhere else..

• Posted

Yes,in a urine cuture. Amoxicillin if I spelled that correctly? For three weeks. Delay in this exchange is mine, but I empathize with your concern since I too was very concerned. I also had purchased a do it yourself test from the drugstore. Which was then verified by a lab test as high leukocytes. As you had other symptoms you are wise to continue to question offhand diagnosis. Of course my first diagnosis was made by a lab technician who later found results of later testing were acceptable.

• Posted

i think it has went into my kidneys as i have really bad kidney oain now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.