Grown out of coeliacs

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I was 16 I was diagnosed coeliacs confirmed by blood test and biopsy and immediately commenced the gluten free lifestyle and what followed was 10 years of hell.

My skin condition was disgusting I developed severe Acne on my face and back, I couldn't go swimming because I didn't want people to see my skin, my hair became brittle, my teeth became brittle to the pint where I lost 3 teeth despite brushing twice a day and flossing regularly, I had no energy, I lost 4 stone and was 6 stone for years i had no confidence I genuinely hated my life. Then I decided at 26 I had had enough of spending money on eating this gluten free rubbish and being ashamed to eat out because I couldn't eat anything on the menu and went full gluten. I didn't even pace myself I just went full on gluten. 6 months later all these ailments cleared up and I'm 33 now and not had a problem since going back to gluten. I did get a another camera check of the villi about 2 years ago and no sign of coeliacs.

Going on a gluten free diet ruined my life and I wonder unless you have extreme symptoms of coeliacs what is the point in causing more suffering by going gluten free. To me it was a waste of money and 10 years of my life.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Speaking from my experience my main symptoms of being coeliac was extreme anaemia.i would fall asleep anywhere I sat down,had no energy and I put on weight which is an unusual symptom.since going gluten free also milk and soya free I feel so much better and after researching the damage to your bowels and pancreas that gluten can do silently if you are coeliac that is good enough reason for me to stay gluten free.i cook fresh food so it doesn't cost me any more then if I ate "normal" food.i lost my mum to cancer of the pancreas,bowel and liver which they put down to her being undiagnosed for most of her life.my nephew was like you,he was diagnosed as a baby but when he reached his teens he rebelled and decided to give up the gluten free diet.he had no side effects for about a year then he became quite ill.

• Posted

Pity about those ten years. However I think you were misdignosed. If you were Coeliac you would not have felt so sh#t during that time so please don't blame the GF foods. Count yourself lucky and maybe quite unusual in that now you can eat anything and be well. Good for you. However for us that are diagnosed correctly having the disease is really awful.  

• Posted

Totally get that however I wonder how many people are misdiagnosed either positively or negatively. Where did this disorder come from. What changed in foods to make people intolerant. Interesting
    • Posted

I believe that the processing of foods and the use of chemicals in the growth and production of foods + pollutants and the environment generally contribute to the body becoming responsive in sevral ways, and Auto Immune responses are part of that. I also understand that until the recent past (say 40/50 years) this sort of condition was never recognised. This could be tosh but I think there is a lot in it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.