Growth, Being Sick, Need Some Opinions.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I've recently gone through a relatively rough time, and am only an 18 year old male and was wondering a few things, however i will explain the premise and issue before asking the questions.

At 16 i developed a rare form of IBD, or Lymphocytic Enteritis which gave me almost 6 months of undiagnosed Diarrhea, Weight loss and fatigue. I dropped down to 49KG at 16 and 183CM. I also became B12 deficient for a few months in which my functionality was limited down to almost only 6 hours of awake time through out the day.

After getting the diagnosis i also found out i have multiple food intolerance's, mainly towards Fructans and partially to lactose and other sugars. Which is permanent damage from the untreated IBD.

I then went on to develop chronic fatigue syndrome which has limited my ability to do anything.

Now going through a recovery program for CFS and managing IBD comfortably i am still unable to put weight on, the most i have been is 55KG at 183-184cm. I have slowly been adding exercise and better sleep to my routine, to condition and treat CFS.

Now i have been relatively worried about my growth, i am male to start with and my fathers main growth spurt was at 17-18. My mother is 5"4 my father 6"4, all my grandparents are 6ft+ except for my maternal grandmother.

I have grown 1CM in the past year, i primarily inherited my fathers physique but also inherited some features from my mother as i look a lot like my grandfather on my mothers side when he was young.

Now my questions are;

1. Do you think my growth will be stunted or delayed? It's inevitable that 2 years of diarrhea, terrible sleep, no exercise and a few months of B12 deficiency would have damaged my growth, would this have stunted or permanently decreased growth or just delayed it and if i started a healthy routine now would i catch up? Would this effect height, what type of growth would this issue effect?

2. Do correct me if i am wrong as it is just speculation that i would have growth defects from being unwell however, could said stunt of growth proceed to problems in the future?

I don't really care about being a snowflake for this whole situation as reality is reality and the hard truth is all i need, i am more intrigued to see what people would think, i did ask my gastroenterologist however he said he was unsure as it can be complicated and they would have to look at a few things if i wished to know. A lot of my facial hair has not developed fully yet as that can be a sign or redeeming factor however i am more intrigued towards growth, as i am 6ft and my father is 6"4 which is a pretty big gap as i did inherit his physique and morph.

Appreciate any feedback, and if i am entirely wrong do correct me.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi at your age and already 6 foot tall i cant see their is too much of a height problem for you, has anyone said that it is??

After having the ibd problems their is no wonder you have vitamin deficiencies and malabsorption, keep eating healthy and exercise as much as you can without overdoing it, get your bloods checked for vitamin deficiency and make sure you don't get constipated

• Posted

Don't get me wrong, i don't care all that much about height, it is more disproportion i am worried about in relation to others in my family. I was just wondering if maybe my growth had been negatively effected by being unwell, besides that i would be happy to just put it down to genetics as my mother is short, height isn't an issue but possible damage to growth is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.