Growth on the back of my head

Posted , 4 users are following.

i've had the growth since i was young. However it's grown slightly since then. What's noticable is its pertruding more. i've done some research, but trying to describe it is quite difficult. I would like to know what it is and whether it can be removed. i'm a Tree surgeon so it's becoming uncomfortable with helmet use. Thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't know what that is, but I think you should see a doctor about it.  There's a small possibility it could be a melanoma, but that's unlikely if you've had it so long.  Whatever it is, it's unlikely to go away without treatment.

It's probably nothing serious, but I'd see a doctor in the next few days if I were you, rather than keep putting it off, and I'd keep it covered on sunny days.  If you could let us know what the doctors say, it would be appreciated.

• Posted

Better image. Doctors appointment booked for next week.  i've always presumed it was some type of birth mark or mole. But i can't find anything similar on MD websites/forums. it's not painful but i can feel pain if i pinch it.

• Posted

I think those may just be warts, which would be nothing to worry about, but I'm glad you've made an appointment.  I'm surprised that a barber/hairdresser hasn't suggested it.

• Posted

That looks more like warts, but more of them than were visible on the first two pics.  I'm not a doctor though, so good luck, and let us know what the doctor (or dermatologist if you get referred) says.

• Posted

The photos don't really do it justice. Most people who see it presume it's a wart, then they change their mind and say i don't have a clue. Barbers don't have a clue. it almost looks like brain tissue, the way it's formed. 

• Posted

I would have that checked by a Doctor. He'll probably do a biopsy. Better to be safer then sorry.

• Posted

It looks like a skin fibroma...totally benign and very common. They often become bigger and more troublesome as people get older.  If you are in UK go to your doctor and he/she will recognise it immediately.  It may be taken off at the doctors or you may be referred to a dermatologist.  Make sure you say it is becoming very uncomfortable as you have to wear a safety helmet,then it wont be considerd a cosmetic procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.