grrrr

Posted , 6 users are following.

Having thought I had bowel problems I discovered I had a 9 cm right side cyst. I have waited ages for appointment due to incompetency. Tonight I had a 'manual'  examination and nothing could be felt. I mentioned that I had been very sore and unwell a couple of weeks ago and could it have ruptured but  I was told that I would have really known about it if it had. So despite waiting from mid June for this appointment I am no further forward. Grrrrr! Follow up scan next week. Anyone else been here?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You're in the UK right?  I just read an article about the UK system being superior to the US medical system due to cost.  Yes we are having exceptional issues due to cost.  However, the UK system although NHS is cost effective it is fraught with wait and see and resistance to treat, especially in this site. 

I feel for you, Almost every time I read a woman's post she is fighting to be taken seriously and treated for her ailment.  Instead bearly examined and sent home, (maybe with medication) to waid and see if it resolves itself.  Fighting for diagnostic imaging and probable surgery.

True, no one wants unnecessary surgery but with huge/excruciating cysts being left for months/years to see if they magically disappear I just don't understand.  I know cysts are a normal part of a woman's cycle but the system of needing permission (referral) to see a gynecologist is just ridiculous.

I so badly feel for you and hope if it did rupture, which hopefully you scan next week will show, it will disappear and give you no more problems.

Sending good thoughts and hopes for you.

• Posted

😀 thank you. I feel I have been an alarmist to my family

• Posted

I feel your pain ;( I've been having both bowel and gynae problems for the couple of years and spent the first part of last week in hospital (again) because of the pain! I have a tiny cyst (2.5) on my right ovary and I've been in agony for the last fortnight and sore for months before that ;( i don't know if it's the cyst that's causing the pain but have been experiencing other gynae issues which made me wonder if it was! While in hospital I was waiting to be taken down to surgery, as although a cyst of that size shouldn't cause issues, they thought it was worth taking it out and having a look around, a new dr came on in the morning and said they'd decided not to operate as it wasn't worth the risk when they weren't sure that's what was causing the pain ;( so I was discharged on painkillers and waiting to have an MRI so they can get a better look at the cyst and check that nothing else is going on! I'm so fed up, the pain is becoming unbearable again, but because I've had serious bowel issues since having my appendix our 2 years ago, and a number of hospital admissions due to pain and/or bowel obstructions, I keep feeling like I'm getting fobbed off and no one listens to how much it is affecting my life. When they went over my pre op and kept mentioning the risk of losing the ovary and that I was so young (29!) and the fact I don't have kids, I burst in to tears and told them the ovary was of no bloody use to me seen as I'm in so much pain I don't have a life...having kids isn't an option when I have days I literally can't move without being sick because of the pain. You'd think that would have let them know how big an issue it is, but they still feel watchful waiting is a better approach ;( I honestly don't know if it's an issue with my bowel or ovary but I'm not a dr-I can't find that out on my own! I've done every single thing that my gastro dr/dietitian has suggested over the last 2 years, every single thing-and although it's made a huge difference to the bowel symptoms in general, the pain is still there! I'm so sorry you're feeling like this, it's so incredibly frustrating ;( I really, really hope you get answers soon x

• Posted

I was told I had IBS years ago and to take more fibre. It made it so much worse. Now I have diverticular disease and was told the same. Luckily I then saw a consultant who said it was trial and error for each individual. I now eat very little fibre which does not sound good but it has made a huge difference to me. I hope that you get your MRI soon and a solution for your pain is found. 
    • Posted

I'm in UK n I'm with you, found a 26cm cyst on my one remaining ovary 19th Aug, still not had my appointment with gynee doc or any doc other than gp!!! Gp is crap n passes me off won't get new scan to check on it n says I'm to wait lol I've had to take time off on my own time (unpaid) as too painful to work my job!!

Hugs n hope u get seen soon and they do something for you!

• Posted

Can't believe they are making you wait with 26cm cyst. That is nearly the length of a school ruler inside you! Never mind its other dimensions. How are you expected to bend etc with that there. Is there another gp within the service who may be more sympathetic? Hope something is done for you

• Posted

I'm restricted in what I'm able to do cuz of pain, been to 3 different GPS at my practice but all say wait.

I'm near enough just to go a&e next time it flares up!!!

Think all NHS is slow at sec by what I can see.

• Posted

Katie,

What are they waiting for? The cyst to completely debilitate you so you lose your job? Or it gets bigger so they can justify not saving your remaining ovary? Or worse yet it ruptures and you need emergency surgery?

I don't see medicine being practiced there I see patient neglect. Why haven't you been referred to a gynaecoligist?

I feel for so for you!

• Posted

That's what's making me angry, I've been referred but they've not even seen my referred yet (4weeks) after it was sent!!!

I'm phoning all the time n been gp too many times, I can't walk far now so can't get to gp!!

I'm in city on Friday so prob going walk in centre to get help then as pains daily now!!

Thank you

• Posted

Update. A week later I have had a scan and seen consultant. The cyst was still there but with the internal scan found to be thickening in places. So I have gone from the doctor not being able to feel it, not having to worry about it and probably not needing surgery to yes we wil take out both ovaries. No we cant do keyhole surgery as we want to ensure that it is kept complete as it is removed so as not to spread anything if it is cancerous. (My ca125 does not indicate this). So I have requested a full hysterectomy. If going to have a scar and have recovery of weeks I am making sure (I hope) that I don't ever have to come back. Fingers crossed it is benign. Stick with it ladies! We know our bodies and when something is not right.  I have only got this far by being dogged - asking gp for referrals, following up appointment bookings etc . In fact I was not supposed to have last nights one. Hospital was to contact me after scan to make one if necessary but I just went ahead and booked it as I was leaving last week. Thank you all for being a support over the last few months. 

• Posted

One year later. Full abdominal hysterectomy ( bikini cut) and nearly football sized benign tumour removed. Really lucky that nothing nasty found. Bowels issues at the beginning ( it hurt so body went in to full reverse) but sorted. Not a quick fix. Luckily I am retired but it was only recently that I realised that I wasn’t having a nana nap each day and I had found some energy. We bought electric bikes ( bit of a cheat but you still have to pedal which is more that I had been doing) and things took off. Weight started to drop a bit 😀. Nothing in this life is easy but a tummy bug and a virus  have helped weight loss. More importantly my tummy has decreased and I can wear my old jeans again. In fact some of them  are too big 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.