Grrrrrrr - Go away herniated disc :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

January 1st 2017 - supposed to be the start of a new year but not for me. While lifting a heavy fridge, I injured myself and my locked my back. MRI showed a badly herniated L5/S1 and so the journey starts.

Terrible Sciatica commences and sitting is just unbearable. 8 weeks of physio and the Sciatica is under control - but sitting still remains a problem.

So I've adapted to a life of standing and lying down. A supportive work environment has been a godsend with my company installing a standing desk.

As I fast approach month 3, mental strength diminishing with progress plateaued.

Unbelievable how debilitating such back pain can be.

Clearly want to stay away from the surgeons knife and will try to refocus on physio again for the next 3 months.

All the best to my fellow sufferers and let Lahore we can beat this !

Jay sad

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So as an update, I have been working on developing core strength as well as practicing Egoscue excercises to rebalance my postural defects that up until now I had never even appreciated existed.

I can see subtle changes in postural improvements which theoretically will help, the science makes sense.

Dietary changes have been more difficult, but the past few days I'm settling into a better routine. The aim is to lose 10% of my weight which exquates to 7 kg.

Does my back feel better, well the improvement is marginal and this sitting position is by far the worst and one which I have avoided. At the most I will sit for a maximum of 15 mins at a time and somehow can get away with doing this 4 or 5 times a day.

Mentally I'm stronger, im off medication of all sorts and figure that negativity will not solve anything.

It's been 4 months thus far, so still relatively new to this and like everyone here, yearning for my old life back - the simple things like sitting down for a meal.

Now I'm off to buy a new yoga mat .... stay well folks

Jay

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.