GS

Posted , 2 users are following.

My friends son has just been diagnosed with GS and seems to be cold all the time, plus he is always tired and gets stomach aches requently. Is there anything she can try to lesson these attacks as he is losing a lot of time off school (He is 13) and she is worried. He also seems very down a lot of the time and has a lack of confidence is this all related to GS?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, that's right often we have slightly lower BP making us feel cold. Lots of us have shaky hands (essential tremor) due to poor liver function and fluctuating blood sugars (there is a link with GS and the hormones regulating insulin). The young chap needs to look after himself with a good diet - slow burning GI foods and protein to give him strength. I think it's a bit of a difficult time during teenagehood with all the competing hormones and things can get a bit dark for a while. Advise him to hang on in there, not to skip meals (it makes us dizzy and yellow). The best approach to life is to see the humour in situations and to be open with your friends about your difficulties. You can have a normal life, ( in a few years time you can still go out on the raz with your mates (as long as you find your tolerance level) it isn't disabling. Im now 46 work full time in health and Im a mum too. Ive had a great life and especially enjoyed my younger wilder years. Hope things go well for him.
  • Posted

Funny, when I was a teen I had no problems like that at all - it's only in my 30s I started noticing anything wrong, but it was in the background really. And it's only the last month or so that I've really been having problems finding that balance.

Anyone else found it gets worse with time?

• Posted

[quote:35f01c1f53=\"DB\"]Funny, when I was a teen I had no problems like that at all - it's only in my 30s I started noticing anything wrong, but it was in the background really. And it's only the last month or so that I've really been having problems finding that balance.

Anyone else found it gets worse with time?[/quote:35f01c1f53]

my son has just been told he has gs he also has diabeties type 1 does anyone know if it is related

• Posted

when i was a teenager i had similar symptoms except for feeling cold. Althought GS effects people differantly.
  • Posted

My sone, who is 17, was diagnosed with GS at 13. It was very bad at the beginning, with strong abdominal pains, dramatic loss of weight, fatigue, nausea, insomnia, brain fog, irritability. The advice I can give is: first, do not worry, it gets better as hormones settle which are particularly volatile at that age and growth hormones add to the pressure on liver's function (also they learn to cope and adjust to the condition and symptoms); second, diet makes a lot of difference - we found that organic meat and milk reduce janudice (our GP suggested to switching to organic meat and milk after prolonged bout of very high billirubin levels) - residual steroids and antibiotics in meat and milk add to the pressure on the liver; third - moderate exercise helps reduce jaundice (such as walking to school or cycling daily); fourth, drinking plenty of water helps flush the toxins out (we make sure our son has plenty of bottled water in his room). We now treat our son's GS not as a disease but rather like his hay fever (which is also very bad); finally sunshine (I do not know why, but sunbathing makes the eyes less yellow). It will definitely get better and easier, unitl they start partying (which is why I am back on support sites for GS). Good luck to your friend
  • Posted

Just found this site and was quick to register as I can find little about GS anywhere. Most Healthcare providers seem to be very dismissive of GS.

Like your son I also suffer from stong abdominal pains, dramatic loss of weight, fatigue, nausea, insomnia, but also lack of motivation. However I am a 64 year old woman so in my case I don't think it is hormones. Maybe stress - quite a few family and work related problems over the past 2 & a half years. This is definitely the worst and longest episode so far.

The strong abdominal pains are a pig! I could cope with the rest if I wasn't creased up all the time. Does anything ease them?

Am going to try a liver supplement to strengthen my liver which has worked in mild episodes before, hope it works this time. The only thing is I have to wait until it can be shipped from USA as the company my nutrition clinic used to deal with has stopped making it.

Luckily, I don't get the yellowness.

Hope your son finds his balance o.k. He is lucky having such a supportive parent. Best wishes to you both

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.