Guesstimate of mm HELP!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Dear all,

So many talk about the mm of their herniation and I was never told. I only found out the diagnosis through a letter sent from a consultant to my GP. I was blessed to get my MRI scans on DVD with the software needed to read them. 

So I have been trying to work out an average mm. I realise different slices can be for different sides but I found some examples and used the software's tools to measure. Could anyone tell me if I'm drawing the FM line right or if these estimates look pretty accurate??

Full disclosure, definitely not looking for a diagnosis or official medical anything - so there's no liability lol just friendly advice or wisdom wink

Thank youuuu x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What symptoms are you experiencing? I'mean NOT a Dr, but your tonsils look very similar to the size mine were before surgery. I was told since it wasn't a "huge/massive" herniation the symptoms were all in my head. Trust me, they were NOT psychosomatic. I had extremely severe symptoms and pain, as well as many other symptoms. Adding insult to injury...I had to have a 2nd surgery the day after the chiari one was done due to hydrocephalus. I spent 5 days in the ICU. They put in a bunch of temporary drains that were removed a few days later. About 2-4 months after my surgery I felt SO MUCH BETTER! I was very fortunate to have found a neurosurgeon who believed me. It's so difficult to find a good chiari malformation doctor. Don't give up! If you ever have any questions I can help you with please feel free to ask as many as you want. I wish I had found this forum before my surgery. Talking get with other chiari patients would have been a blessing!

Sincerely,

Kat

• Posted

What symptoms are you experiencing? I'mean NOT a Dr, but your tonsils look very similar to the size mine were before surgery. I was told since it wasn't a "huge/massive" herniation the symptoms were all in my head. Trust me, they were NOT psychosomatic. I had extremely severe symptoms and pain, as well as many other symptoms. Adding insult to injury...I had to have a 2nd surgery the day after the chiari one was done due to hydrocephalus. I spent 5 days in the ICU. They put in a bunch of temporary drains that were removed a few days later. About 2-4 months after my surgery I felt SO MUCH BETTER! I was very fortunate to have found a neurosurgeon who believed me. It's so difficult to find a good chiari malformation doctor. Don't give up! If you ever have any questions I can help you with please feel free to ask as many as you want. I wish I had found this forum before my surgery. Talking get with other chiari patients would have been a blessing!

Sincerely,

Kat

• Posted

You are SO sweet. I'm going to PM you in a bit if that's okay? Are you in UK or US? smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.