Gum Abscessed. Dentist didn’t drain it. Will I be ok?

Posted , 3 users are following.

so this last week i notice a pocket of pus on my gum. i haven't felt any pain at all. i went to the dentist and he said i had a bad infection. he did not drain the abscess but had only put me on antibiotics. so i still have the huge pocket of pus on my gum. I'm three days into the antibiotics. and i am worried that the fact he didn't drain it, it will not go away even with antibiotics. but i honestly don't know and i hope someone on here can help me... will the large pimple go away with taking antibiotics? will it pop on its own? or will it just keep spreading?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have just had surgery for the same complaint. If it has not burst by the end of the antibiotics

return to dentist he will sort it.

• Posted

As the pocket builds the pain will start to go away, and then pop the pain is gone but infection is live and in person in your mouth. Just use lots of mouthwash when this happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.