Gum disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi chaps ... I had some very expensive treatment for Periodental problems 10 years ago, I then moved house and told my new dentist who said that together we could keep it under control, I went for regular (3 monthly) hygienist visits and whenever I saw him for a check-up he was always happy with the state of my teeth (last visit to him 3 months ago). I have moved house again and visited my  new dentist for the first time and was shocked to hear that my gum disease is back big-time.

it seems different dentists measure these things differentlly ... one seemed happy another horrified !

Add to this the fact that as a Denplan patient I expected that, as it was a pre-existing condition, the treatment costs are not covered under the insurance, I really wonder why I've been paying Denplan for so many years  .

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of problem please ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have recently suffered from conflicting advice and opinions following examinations and treatments. It has been terrible. I've put off more surgery ba cause of it. I wish I had done more research and shopped around for dentists.

I see the prosthodontics person tomorrow and I'm scared. I've researched my options and what I'm meant to be having. It has the potential of being terrible. I wonder if I've over researched this time finding only the bad outcomes.

If I was you I'd go to see another dentist or 2. 2nd opinions do no harm. Good luck

• Posted

Yes I'm certainly going to see another one ... the scare tactics are bad as well, I'm sure, down to greed ... It appears we are the most expensive in Europe, for a filling (according to the "Mail"wink  it would cost £117 in England, the most expensive, followed by Italy on £101 and Spain on £94. In Germany it would cost £50 and in France it would be £34. 

• Posted

You don't say where you are, but is there any possibility of getting across a border to a cheaper country, at least for another opinion? For example, non-cosmetic dental costs in Belgium are low enough for a simple consultation to be affordable even without intervention from the State medical insurance scheme. (And good quality too.)

• Posted

I'm in Australia and it's really expensive here too. I looked into going to India or Indonesia as they are so cheap and guaranteed but I got scared. My brother is married to a dentist in Poland. Dime a dozen there. Cheap but very professional. I seriously regret not going overseas for treatment. I've already spent more money on my mouth to this point than they would have charged for everything. $7500 aud so far!

• Posted

I also have private health insurance.
    • Posted

I have an appointment with another dentist later next week ... I'll get back to post the results ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.