Gum disease

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a fear of dentists and it was a few years that past before I finally saw a dentist this year. I'd noticeed my back teeth were getting quite 'wobbly' and it turns out that my gums are receding and the NHS dentist tells me that there is little they can do apart from with special toothpaste and a new cleaning regime they hope to stop it progressing and hope to maintain my teeth for up to 5 years. I'm wondering at this advanced stage if I were to pay a private dentist whether I would have the bone strength for implants or something else? I'm terrified of losing my teeth and I don't have much money. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thank you.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Debbie. I think you can get implants on the NHS - it would be the NHS top band payment which is i think around £260 ish - for this I am sure you can get implants but most definately dentures. Ask you NHS dentist but dont be scared of the denture route. I had a partial top denture for many many years, since i was in my thirties. Since then i now have a full top denture and no one ever realises i have a denture. Luckily all my bottom ones are my own teeth and are in good condition. IF it were me I would have the problem teeth out now and a denture because as the teeth become loose, pockets form around them which collect food debris, and infection starts and believe me the pain of the infection is identical to toothache which i think is one of the worst pains there is. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.