Gum pain behind lower left wisdom tooth?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey folks,

I woke up 2 days ago with a slight pain on my gum/jaw, directly behind my lower-left wisdom tooth. I also had a sore throat, and it's happening today too. The pain seems to be directly on the flesh where my jaw "hinges" when I poke at it. None of my actual teeth hurt as far as I can tell, but it's hard to be 100% sure in a small area like that.

At the moment it's more of a discomfort than real pain, but I am worried that it might be the start of something worse. Some ibuprofen and mouthwash seem to be keeping things at bay for the moment. It starts off most painful in the morning, then subsides during the day, coming back again before I go to bed. 

Has anyone had anything similar to this? I am hoping it's just going to go away on it's own because, as I said, it's not unbearable pain or anything right now. My wisdom teeth are all fully errupted (I'm 36), and they haven't caused me issues before (I had some back teeth removed when I was much younger as a pre-emptive measure to make space for my incoming wisdom teeth).

Thanks very much for any help!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Wow, i have never heard of anyone having their permanent teeth pulled to make room for their wisdom teeth. it's the other way around. may i ask who advised you to do such a stupid thing? when wisdom teeth come in it can be quite painful and grow in sideways that's why they are removed not your other teeth.
    • Posted

This was over 20 years ago, so I honestly don't remember many of those details. I did have an arguement with a cricket bat around that time, which caused all sorts of problems with my teeth anyway, so some of that work way have been necessary to fix the resulting mess. 

Either way, that shouldn't have a bearing on the issue that I am having now. I've never had any issues with my wisdom teeth, and I am really not sure if this is anything to do with them. It almost feels like the pain (when I push) is coming from a tendon back there in my jaw!

• Posted

Time to see the dentist for some X-rays
  • Posted

How is it now Orias? I am eager to know because I have those symptoms at the moment. Did it ease on its own? Please let's know!

I am having the same problem.

I am 26 years old and my wisdom tooth has come trough but there is a gap between the lower wisdom tooth and the gum.

I don't have pains but a dull ache back there and a discomfort.

Much the same, is worse in the morning and at night but does gradually ease during the day.

It's getting to me now, i keep thinking its easing and then it continues or comes back.

I'm so fed up with it all now that tomorrow might I'm going out, I'm having a few drinks with my friends and I'm hitting the clubs because this will not beat me.

Sorry to sound somber but I'm totally fed up with it now guys.

Mouthwash (corsydl) helps. Salt water rinses help and soluble paracetamol helps too.

I've been rinsing with salt water (1tsp) around 4-6 times a day.

Mouthwash around 8-10 times per day.

Applying Bonjela in the gap, around the tooth and on top of the wisdom tooth.

Taking soluble paracetamol for the aches and pains 4 times per day.

Brushing twice a day.

I have booked to see the dentist but due to Easter hours, this is not until Tuesday!

Is there are anything I have listed above that people think I should NOT be doing or anything else o should be doing?

Please be honest and frank,

Always grateful,

Jonboy

• Posted

Hey Jonboy,

Sorry for the delayed response. Mine seems to have got better over the past few days. There's still something going on there, but I think I am only noticing it now because I'm specifically paying attention.

It's definitely a lot better than it was a few days ago. I basically took a Nurofen each morning to ease the pain, and hopefully help with any inflammation. Brushed + mouthwash as usual, and now it seems to be ok again.

Probably not the best medical advice, but I did enjoy a sip of good whiskey in the evenings, and I made sure to "rinse" it around in the area that hurt...probably not related, but it's worked for me smile

I hope you find a solution.

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Jonboy,

I'm having the same problem but when I went to the dentist I mentioned it however he didn't say anything... What did your dentist say?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Jonboy,

I have the exact same symptoms as you did. I'm very very eager to know how it went and what you did to find a solution.

Best,

Todd

• Posted

Hello.  I've been doing extensive research on exactly this problem.  Did you find out what the issue was?  I have three fully errupted wisdom teeth.  The fourth one i had  removed about two years ago.  I was somewhat grinding it to where I made a hole in my cheek.  Now the teeth on the right side are causing issues.  The skin/joint behind the teeth hurt.  Dentist never said anything about the teeth.  It is driving me around the bend.  I put tooth gel on the area and it helps but doesn't fix the problem. 

• Posted

Did you ever figure out what this is? I’ve had 3 of my wisdom tooth removed. And I have the exact same symptoms. I grind my teeth every single night. I’m starting g to thin that it’s TMJ or TMD. 
  • Posted

Hey

I’ve been having the same issue. I have an impacted wisdom tooth behind my last molar and every morning I wake up with a swollen pea sized lump next to my last molar at the back. I massage it and it tends to go down. Throughout the day it’s fine and doesn’t cause much grief. I clean it religiously but every morning it reappears. I suffer with TMJ but have a night guard and it still seems to happen when I wear my bite guard. Very strange...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.