Gum pain/receding gums and sensitive teeth.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi lovely ladies. I have been going through the menopause for the last four years and it does not seem to be getting any easier. I have been suffering with sore gums for a year now and even though I've been to the dentist I was told that my mouth is healthy. BUT over the last few weeks the pain in my gums has worsened and they're shrinking around some of my teeth. My teeth are now highly sensitive no matter what I eat and I've read that receding gums can lead to tooth loss. Has anyone else experienced this problem and can you please offer me any advice. THANK YOU.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My teeth have been sensitive and when I ask the dentist about this or that, he says he doesn't see anything. So I have been using toothpaste for sensitive teeth which helps a lot. I read a few years ago that coq10 helps with gum issues as well as other things so I take that everyday. Then of course calcium and Vit D helps too. I don't want any teeth issues as I grow older as I absolutely hate going. He's a nice guy but just sitting in that chair and them doing stuff in my mouth just gives me anxiety.

• Posted

I also bought an electric toothbrush which is great around the gum area.

• Posted

Hi

I've been having problems with my teeth and gums too. My guns bleed quite often even though I brush and floss daily, a couple of my teeth have actually cracked aswell it's freaking me out. I was eating crisps the other day and lost a bit of my tooth. They are also super sensitive. I'm freaking out that I am going to lose them x

• Posted

Hi Lisa. Sorry to hear that you too are having problems with your mouth. I hope that all the advice from these lovely ladies helps you as well. Best of luck.

• Posted

I had an episode out of the blue in October. Felt like sinus pain but totally ended up finding out that it was a gum infection. Face swelled and everything. Went on 2 rounds of antibiotics. When infection healed doc said deep cleaning was in order. I have dentist anxiety and had not been in 3 years. Last dentist had a wife as his partner and she laughed at my insurance and said "we don't do HMO's"....

But I'm glad i went...gum health can affect our overall and heart health. so I found someone empathetic and they take my teacher insurance. And he told me that changes like mine are common in peri and meno.

• Posted

Hey Katy. I hope that you're feeling better now and thanks for sharing your information with us. Take care.

• Posted

Try rinsing with peroxide before you brush, morning and night. You'll see a difference in a couple of days. I don't have it now but when i was pregnant i had bleeding and sore gums, and my dentist told me to do this and it worked! He said it had something to do with hormones. This condition will also cause tooth sensitivity. Try it,if things don't improve make an appointment with your dentist.

• Posted

Thanks Jodie. I really appreciate the advice. All the best to you.

• Posted

check your vitamin D and B levels. also please start taking ubiquinol supplements. after menopause we don't produce ubiquinol. we need it for gum health

• Posted

hello

im not sure if you have this as well but i been waken up with pain in the mouth in the left side of my teeth my dentist did gave me a mouth guard and i got some releved but now i have jaw pain i know i grind my teeth to the point of hurting everyday. has anyone has this as well?

• Posted

Yes! The last two years I have had this, been to the dentist a few times over it and they can't find anything, there is one tooth where the gum is receding so they told me to buy sensitive toothpaste so I did and it is also one that supports enamel it does help! When I am overcome with stress and anxiety I tend to tense everything, my muscles and my jaw, I am not a tooth grinder but a tooth clencher....I too dislike going to the dentist, but I force myself and remind myself how important it is. I find even at times my gums will feel like they are on fire, but nothing is showing up. I have bought a water pick which I need to use more, and also do oil pulling first thing in the morning, its great for drawing out bacteria that has collected in your mouth over night. I also brush my teeth before I go to bed and before I start my day. I hope I can keep my teeth as I get older, I have had to have one molar pulled when I was 40 as it cracked from a very deep from a deep filling, and since having it removed it makes an impact in how you eat, and chew.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.