Gum Problems

Posted , 8 users are following.

Its not one of the listed symptoms but I just wondered if anyone here had suffered terribly with gum disease worsening with hormonal/peri-menopause ? My gums in a real old mess so much so I have lost teeth and set to loose many more. It just seems so aggressive and ties in with the onset of my more severe peri-menopause symptoms. I have Peridontal Disease (severe gum disease)  thank you

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I did! Funny you brought this up as I am going for my quarterly cleaning next week. I remember when I used to get by twice a year. Not anymore! 

I started having problems around 2-3 years ago. I was so upset, despite following good oral hygeine, I ended up having to have some deep cleaning and a long lecture on how to "properly" care for my teeth. Never so insulted, as I was doing what I was supposed to, it just happens that some us will have additional issues during this time. I went for the deep cleaning and now visit my regular dentist 4 times a year for the regular cleaning. And you are right, it does seem to tie into the more intense part of this "lovely" time of life. Hopefully it will ease up soon.

Annie xx

• Posted

Does the deep cleaning help you ? Do you have the peridontal pockets and have they reduced in size ? sorry i guess these are more dental questions than meno but i am having a nightmare with hormonal symptoms and my gums/teeth are an even worse nightmare. I no sooner get one area of my mouth sorted and the peridontal disease starts in another area...i am yet to start deep cleanings but find any cleanings release things into my system and make me a bit poorly..have you found that ? thank you
    • Posted

I thought it was just me!  I have terrible problems with my gums! I now use a special toothpaste and gel. I can e-mail you the details.

• Posted

The pockets did reduce in size and that's why I go every 3 months now, want them to stay down. What are you referring to "releasing things into your system''?

I am not aware of that other than the typical things changing during peri.  My hygenist also mentioned she was surprised to have issues and needed to see a periodontist (crazy as it sounds, she's probably more meticulous than most of us!!) because she's peri as well and having issues now.  Hopefully if you do have the deep cleaning done you will feel somewhat better. 

Annie xx

• Posted

One thing that might help you that the peridontist taught me was to massage gums every night with that rubber tip on opposite end of your brush. I also have a really skinny toothbrush that I dip in an antiseptic type mouthwash and massage up the teeth to the just under the gums, killing off anything that may form placque later. It's done before bedtime.

Sounds crazy I know, but it seems to help keep the pockets down as well. I have some bone loss and done want to lose teeth or have any type of surgery to fix that problem. Good luck!

• Posted

thats really good your pockets reduced in size. Hopefully you can keep them that way with your regular cleanings. I have only had four teeth deep cleaned so far. I have ME so i am very very sensitive to things and can only do things in small stages. I just feel that somehow the bacteria get into my system after the cleanings stir them up and make me feel poorly, I always feel sick and shivery. I dont know why this happens. The infection in my mouth has also really affected my health but then i do have the gum disease quite bad. I am hoping the cleanings make me feel better too..its all been like a domino effect with one thing affecting another ! Least you have an understanding hygeinst ! xx

• Posted

Thank you for the tip...i will give it a try. I have quite alot of bone loss too..more than half actually which isnt great. I have lost teeth to infections and i dont want to loose anymore.
    • Posted

ok thank you and good luck with your gums ! Nightmare isnt it
    • Posted

annieschaefer....do you see a peridonalist privately or on the NHS ?
    • Posted

Ladywear-

I am in the US and see a doctor privately (no insurance on dental at present time) so it was quite costly to go to peridontist (my teeth were cleaned in 4 quadrants, 1 side at a time -ouch!) but worth it. Even going every 3 months to the dentist for routine cleaning is not covered on our private insurance, but hey, considering the alternative, it's worth it.

Do try the gum massaging at night, while you are settling in for evening prior to bedtime....it's somewhat relaxing and does really help. Hope this helps you!

• Posted

Ladywear-

You might benefit taking antibiotics prior to cleaning -some dentists here give prophylatic antibiotics prior to cleaning. Do they do that in the UK? You may want to ask, as honestly, that has not happen to me and I wonder if you don't get a slight infection afterward. Won't hurt to ask.

Yes, I love my dentist and hygentist. Both are remarkable women who have traveled our path! Very understanding! 

Annie xx

• Posted

I have had quite a few teeth extracted too and always feel like its releasing some infection..i went to the doctors and got some tests and they came back normal so they didnt give antibiotics....so really cant understand why I feel like I have infection in my system..very odd x
    • Posted

yes those cleanings can be a bit painful..i dont have anasethetics either due to reactions (well I try very hard to limit injections) so it can be painful. Sounds like you paid alot of money to get sorted out but yes better than going for dentures. That is a worry !
  • Posted

Have you got a dry mouth? I have what they call burning mouth syndrome which is a sympton from the dreaded menopause. Sore tonge & gums! I have switched to clove toothpaste (from Boots chemist) & dry mouth lozengers they have really helped & I have cut right back on coffee or tea & drink loads of warer just water...boring I know but it has helped! I have been told not to touch anything minty. Is it worse as the day goes on? Try googling Burning mouth syndrome there's not much you can do about it but the simple things i am doing have reduced the symtoms to a degree.Its worth a try. It is listed in the 34 symptoms of the menopause so you are not alone

Hope you can try it & see if your mouth feels a little better.

• Posted

Hi Ruth  no I dont have a burning mouth but my tongue burns alot...not sure if that is menopause symptom or because I have peridontal disease in my mouth ..either way no plesant !!!! Thanks for the tip on not eating anything minty too thats interesting .
    • Posted

Sorry about my earlier typos, glad you managed to decipher them! Just a quick one, Do you use Corsodyl mouthwash? There is an ingredient in many mouthwashes, creams etc etc that contain Chlorhexidine & although when you see a dentist or the ads on TV about Corsodyl being good for various mouth problems there is growing concern that many people have an allergy to the active ingredient Chlorhexidine! I had a bad reaction when I had my last op & was sent back into hospital for extensive allergy testing & I am indeed allergic to it!! We all want fresh breath & nice teeth but sometimes a different option is best. Please try a mouthwash that doesn't contain mint, you should see a difference in a few days, even if it makes only a slight difference it'll be worth it!  I am not saying Corsodyl is bad but just to make you aware.  

Let me know how you get on x

• Posted

Thanks Ruth, actually I dont use mouthwash. My dentist says I should but I am finding that i react to it ...i dont know whether its the ingredients in the mouthwashes because i have even tried herbal ones (that dont include mint) and I react just the same as when I have the deep cleanings...i go all shivery and sick. Its really wierd, its like the dead bacteria are getting into my system somehow. My dentist says this isnt possible but this seems to be my reaction. I have ME and we dont clear things from our systems the same as healthy people so that is all i can think is happening to me. Its quite horrible on top of everything else when you cant even brush your teeth/use a mouthwash without reacting ! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.