Gums uneven and teeth very yellow at the back he front of my mouth

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I'm needing some advice, a couple of weeks ago I noticed I could feel the bottom of one of my teeth at the back of my front jaw, I'm not with a dentist and it's going to take me 2 weeks for an appointment, I'm worried that's it's too long to wait and my teeth will drop out. I have looked via camera and the teeth are very yellow and the gum line is uneven along all the back of them, them gum looks low at one side and very high at the other. I might be able to pay for private and get seen in a few days. It will be a very tight month but would I be better doing this? If anyone could help I would be really greatfull as I'm scared of dentists and freaking out sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Cheryl, you'll probably be OK waiting two weeks, just as long as your teeth aren't actually loose. If they are moving about or painful, then you need to get seen asap, even if you have to pay for it. If you suddenly get an unbearable toothache it probably means you have an abscess. In this case, you should go to A&E, where they can prescribe antibiotics (but not treat the teeth). However, antibiotics will only work against a serious infection and won't otherwise influence the outcome.

It sounds as if your teeth have been neglected and in a bad state for a long time now, so two weeks won't make much difference if they're not actually loose. But make sure you keep that appointment in two weeks' time.

• Posted

Thank you for your comment, yeah I honestly haven't done my best with them, there not hurting or loose, I'm using a lot more on my teeth now so I'm hoping I can undo some of the damage. I have a fear of dentists so let everything slide sad
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl,

If your teeth aren't hurting or loose, they're not in any immediate danger. Brush them for two or three minutes twice a day with a soft brush, especially last thing at night, but don't go overboard on hard scrubbing on the affected teeth right now as that could make things worse. No need to use excessive amounts of toothpaste either, a pea-sized piece is enough. Using more doesn't make any difference - except to your pocket!

But regular brushing (and flossing once you're sure your teeth are OK) has to be in addition to seeing a dentist at least once a year, not an alternative. And it won't undo any damage that's already been done. Please keep that appointment in two weeks' time!

I don't know what's available in your area, but where I live there's a large university hospital where they run a special programme for people who are afraid of the dentist. It's not a problem I have personally, but I hear it's very successful. Keep your current appointment anyway - your problem might be urgent - but do some research on this. You could try calling any large hospitals in your area and asking whether they have facilities of this kind. Also, your doctor or your dentist might know something about it.

I'm sure a dentist will be able to save your teeth. The problem is probably gum shrinkage due to poor dental hygiene, and this can easily be treated. However, you can't get diagnosed on a forum so you definitely need to keep your appointment with the dentist. Try and treat this as a wake-up call to prevent further damage.

• Posted

That's really bad to heard about your problem. But you immidiatly find some other way out for you tooth. you must go to some other doctor or private clinics.
  • Posted

If its really that bad, you could try paradontax toothpaste.

Its designed for sensitive or bleeding gums.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, I empathise with your fear of the denstist. I didn't go for many years due to a fear resulting from being given a gas anaesthetic for milk teeth(have no idea why!) aged 5 , which terrified me. Despite being an ex nurse, I also hate needles ( in me!). I'm now a regular, but my gums have suffered, however they are improving withh regular cleaning at the dentist. I've always religously brushed at least twice a day, and in the morning I brushed after breakfast. I don't (and never have) drink sugary drink and drink a lot of water and have a good diet with lots of vegetables. However I now know that

1. Over zealous brushing, especially using athe manual tooth brush up and down action can push your gums up over time and expose the area of the tooth which doesn;t have enamel protection ie receding gums

2. Electric toothbrush action (pref' sonic) is much better for your teeth

3. Sodium Laureth sulphate in toothpaste is a detergent and it's not good for your gums. I used to have awful sensitivity where I have the worst recession but now use Sensodyne pro-enamel. If I use any other toothpaste I get awful sensitivity within 2 days

4. Using interdental brushes is preferred over flossing. You will be amazed and disgusted if you brush your teeth then use an interdental brush afterwards and see how much Yuk is left between your teeth

4. some drugs can contribute to gum disease, especially if they lead to dry mouth. You can try chewing sugar free gum to stimulate saliva production,although that's not particularly good for your stomach.

5. You shouldn't brush straight after a meal as this is when the enamel is softest, especially if you've had anything acidic.

I have recently become suspicious that I'm Vit D and Vit B12 defficent and that may be why I have such poor gums.

• Posted

So after going into the dentist turns out it's just plaque! So happy as everything is fine with my teeth, would definaity recommended everyone to have a dentist. Stops a lot of stress and worry, I'm now set up for the follow ups and teeth have never been cleaner! :D

• Posted

Great news! Treat this as a wake-up call and look after your teeth from now on. Correct brushing and a yearly check-up with the dentist will ensure they last a lifetime!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.