Gut Issues- desperately need advice.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've had loads of pretty debilitating symptoms. The most annoying being nausea 24/7 and belching up acid every 10 minutes or so. But also, right flank pain, just under the ribs.

My IBS (which i was diagnosed with years ago has changed) I have yellow greasy pale stool that floats and is foul smelling.

I saw a gastroenterologist yesterday and am going to be having an endoscopy, hopefully in the near future. I am a 23 year old women, and he is SURE that I don't have anything wrong with me other than IBS.

Although, I am finding this very hard to believe, especially with my stool being the way it is, and the flank pain. My urine is also darker than what I am used to regardless of hydration. I have already had an ultrasound of my abdomen and it came back normal! But I'm thinking that I might have something wrong with my gallbladder, pancreas or liver. I'm thinking of saving up for a HIDA scan - would anyone recommend this given my symptoms?

I'm feeling quite hopeless. I'm usually a reasonably rational person, well educated, keep myself active etc etc. But my situation has ruined me. Health anxiety has been mentioned, but I have such terrible symptoms...And Yellow foul smelling stool can surely not be a symptom of anxiety alone. I've sunk into a depression. And I'm doing so much that i believe would help me: Fodmap & anti-acid diet; exercise; taking gavascon & PPIs; drinking aloe vera juice & plenty of water; and seeing a counsellor. What scares me, is that none of it is alleviating my symptoms. Of course I want medical answers, but fear it will be too late by the time I get them. Has anyone else had a similar experience or just has any advice for what I'm going through.

Thanks in advance, it means a lot. I feel very alone at the moment.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Also, I have zero appetite and have lost a stone over 1.5 months!

• Posted

Lack of appetite can be triggered by IBS especially if foods are triggering your symptoms. Lack of appetite can cause weight loss if you are reducing your food intake. Weight loss can also occur because of anxiety. Some people with IBS find food unappealing. Try to consider simpler causes rather than more serious explanations. You are very young and IBS is very common among younger people. IBS often goes alongside anxiety and depression. Irritable bowel can also cause anxiety and depression in people who don't already have these conditions.

• Posted

I think you are suffering from severe health anxiety and no amount of testing will really reassure you. Accept your doctor's opinion because IBS can change over time and can cause all sorts of bowel habit change. I think seeing a counsellor is a very good idea to try and alieviate your anxiety. IBS does not show on any scan or test and the more you stress and worry about your symptoms, the worse your IBS will be. Listen to what your doctor recommends and not what your anxiety is telling you.

• Posted

Hi Anna,

I think you & I have exchanged posts before, but regardless, I have been going through the same thing since 2017. I have the same stool type, though my pain is on the upper left side under the rib cage. I go through bouts of watery/yellow stool as in addition to the formed yellow/greasy floating stool type. I have had an MRCP, multiple CT's contrast/non contrast, Endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound, and mountains of blood work to come up with only gastritis identified. I had excruciating health anxiety from all of this to the point of depression also. Finally, I had to let go and say if these tests are clear and all along something sinister is happening, then it doesn't matter how much I worry or how hard I push for answers, I was destined to die anyway. Now I just accept the fact that yes my symptoms are very odd and abnormal and incredibly annoying, however, I can't do anything about it. If they change or get worse, sure, I will go back and again request additional testing. However, I am going to try and live my life as normal as possible and accept it as the "new normal". Do I like it? No. But it gives me at least most of my life back.

• Posted

Hey thanks for your reply. It's so hard when you're convinced that something is wrong, and worst of all feel as though you have all the physical symptoms to justify your reasons. I suppose in mind mind at the moment I'm having a hard time waiting for the tests. My doctors are adamant it will be nothing, but until I get tested It's hard to believe when I am in so much pain and discomfort. Hopefully will be getting an endoscopy soon! I'm not sure about you, but sometimes I don't know what's real or not. i.e. whether a symptom is from anxiety or is actually another physical symptoms (less likely explained by anxiety). It's so frustrating and all I think about each second. I'm happy you have found some relief and have been able to get most of your life back!

• Posted

i too have upper right quadrant pain below ribs with IBS since 2015. Ive ad MrI, endoscopy, colonoscopy, gastric emptying, ultrasound, cat scan, hida scan, gallbladder removal, blood work. . Even with removal of gallbladder i continue to have same pain. nothing explains my pain. my pain throbs and is intermittent. Ive started wearing an abdominal binder which is helping with number of episodes. ive googled hidden hernias in woman. Personally, i belueve that what i have or either scar r tissue pain. I ferl for you because constsnt pain wears on you.

• Posted

i would definitely think about getting a hida scan because a bad gallbladder can cause your symtpoms and the surgery to remove a gallbladder is simple. ive had mine removed. but if its not the gallbladder and everything else checks out then try not to think about your symptoms too much as this will drive you mad. i hope you find answers and keep us updated on your outcome!

• Posted

Thank you. Did you manage to get a HIDA scan on the NSH? (if you are in the UK) x

• Posted

im in the US but i didnt need a hida scan because they did an ultrasound and my gallbladder was full of stones

• Posted

How about pancreatic insufficiency? some symptoms are:

Diarrhea. EPI can cause problems with undigested food moving too quickly through the digestive tract.

Gas and bloating. ...

Stomach pain. ...

Foul-smelling, greasy stools

Weight loss.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.