Gym membership payments.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am paying a gym/pool monthly subscription. I used the swimming pool 2/3times a wk. Having just had thr through a fall. I was wondering should I carry on paying my membership, or will it be a while before I get bk there. What is the best exercise for thr besides walking (As I'd sooner walk in the fresh air than on a treadmill)

Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Im 7 weeks and im finding swimming the best as its a lot easier than walking and so on. I do amazing in the pool then struggle to walk for more than 5 minutes haha. Its mad
    • Posted

I swim on my back a lot as it uses the muscles in my legs more and when i swim on my front i dont really know what i do because when i swim like that i struggle to move my legs haha. Still think i have a low ROM in my left leg but swimming is incredibly good for building up leg muscles
    • Posted

I can't swim on my back. I think I'll give it another few wks before I return to the pool (got to learn to walk again without crutches first lol ) xx
    • Posted

Im still walking with both crutches but can walk in the pool because it makes me weightless so i dont worry about the fact im only allowed to partical weightbare. I fund it quite easy tk swim on my back but i tended to do it a lot befote op because i cant kick my legs very much swimming on my front 😂
  • Posted

Ask your gym if they will freeze your membership for 3 months (say) due to op and see what they say.  No harm in asking.......
  • Posted

hi brenda  i had a thr feb. 4th. April 14 i had a posterior dislocation. PAIN!!!!!!!!!

I WAS BACK AT 4 WEEKS POST THR with a fully healed scar. working on rehab again. walking in the therapy pool really helps, weth a session of standing in the hot tub afterward.  no sitting, the benches are too low. i am coming along s;owly..i'm 60 years old.

in the US we have a program where seniors and disabled can use the YMCA ( young men's Christian association ) facilities. they are in bigger cities all over thr US.THERE IS A . gym,pool, depends on where u live

but you may have a hot tub, 100 degree therapy pool, tennis, track and so on. are there any faith-based associations like that by you?

tHE aRTHRITIS aSSOCIATION GIVES CLASSES IN THE WARM POOL to get u into shape having joint problems.

took 3 sessions B4 thr and it helped me get my strength back post thr.  until i dislocater the new hip.l am healing slowly...my doc is a real donkey.

i will catch up with my story as i can - trying to maintain my garden and get some food in. can't find much help. don't think th9ings will ever be normal again. i need both knees done and ny back is shot. i want to move tback home to Pittsburgh, PA where they have good medical care.

God bless,dear. be in touch!

• Posted

Hi, I don't think they have amenities like that in my area. I have got to go bk to hospital physio dept next month. See what they offer me.

I hope you will soon be feeling stronger xx

• Posted

I would keep the membership, swimming and water exercises will come in handy down the line. Check with your PT.
  • Posted

Hi Brenda - My gym lets you take up to a three month sick leave so you can suspend your membership for up to that time - probably worth doing for 6-12 weeks depending on how long hip precautions in place for ????

- after that swimming ( not breaststroke as the leg bit not good - although I do my own version of breast stroke arms and crawl

Legs!) ) is fine or even just walking up and down lengths against the resistance of water . I was swimming 20-30 lengths 3 times a week from week 8 -otherwise walking outside is the best you can do . Hope all is going well

Post op xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.