H Pylori and Arithroymcin

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had an endoscope in April and it was found that I had Helibactor P and hiatus hernia but no ulcer. I was put on a triple therapy (clarithromycin, metronidazole and Omeprazole). This has not worked and I am allergic to penicillin so now the only choice seems to be quadruple therapy (Tetracycline, Omeprazole, Metronzonadole and Bismuth) for ten days. I read that you are not supposed to take Metronazole twice as you will become resistant - not sure what to do.

Then today another doctor I rang told told me Arithromycin was a new treatment which got rid of it in three days. But a pharmacist had not heard of this for HP. Anyone else know anything about it?

I live in Spain so find it difficult to get advice in English. :?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do you mean [b:8b6b2e158b]Azithromycin[/b:8b6b2e158b] rather than Arithroymcin? smile
  • Posted

Yes
  • Posted

Yes I meant Azithromycin
  • Posted

You may like to read our drug information leaflet on azithromycin - https://patient.info/showdoc/30002446/ - and maybe print if off to show the pharmacist in Spain. Seeing the generic drug name written down may help with language difficulties.

Patient Admin

• Posted

Yeah it'll probably do the trick, good luck getting rid of the HP smile
  • Posted

HI READING YOUR POSTING I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAVE THE WRONG ONE I ALSO HAVE AN ALLERGIC REACTION TO PENICILLIN AND THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED Erythromycin THIS IS THE SAME AS AN ANTIBIOTIC AND MAYBE THE ONE THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT AS THE OTHER ONE Azithromycin IS MORE OF AN ANTI BACTERIAL

I HOPE THIS HELPS ITS WORTH CHECKING IT OUT

• Posted

smile Hi sue, thanks for your reply. Yes they did mean Azithromycin - I think its in the same drug group as Erythromycin. They seem to prescribe antibacterials as well as antibiotics sometimes. I had Metronidazole last time and that is an antibacterial. Did you have any luck with curing your H.P.? I will probably have to try the quad therapy but am not looking forward to taking such high concentration of drugs. sad
  • Posted

[quote:df13d66fc8=\"Bermuda\"],, am not looking forward to taking such high concentration of drugs. sad[/quote:df13d66fc8]

Watch out for the cramps wink :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.