h pylori and gastritis

Posted , 6 users are following.

november of this year i was properly diagnosed with h pylori and gastritis after being told for years it was IBS, i went through eradication therapy last month and do not feel a single bit different, still have the pain, vomiting, etc.

my question is how do i know if the h pylori is gone and my stomach just needs time to recover? i have seen 2 different doctors and they told me they dont retest because of the success rate.

and secondly is there any home remedies that i could maybe try for myself?

supposed to be going for a new year party which means drinking alot of alcohol which has been booked with my wife for nearly a year and now it doesn't look such a good idea.

Thank You

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

Your doctors have given you incorrect information. You can be retested for h pylori to make sure it had gone. It is very difficult to get rid of h pylori which can come back or not go away at all. In fact, it is standard procedure to retest for this bacteria. The success rate for treatment is debatable. See a different doctor and insist strongly on a retest. If you are refused, make a complaint. Even it is eradicated, the treatment can cause stomach irritation and the bacteria itself can ravage your gut. In some cases h pylori can lead to gastritis. Push hard for a retest and don't take no for an answer.

• Posted

Hi jo93594

Although the 3 course antibiotics you are prescribed to eradicate HPylori are strong, they do not always eradicate all of the HP bacteria. HP bacyeria are very good at burrowing in the gut and intestines and avoiding the antibiotics. When this happens they start to reform and you start to get the symptoms you started with before HP diagnosis. So as already mentioned you are entitled to be retested to check if the HP has been completely eradicated. See an alternative doctor and insist on a recheck. If you are in UK you are entitled to a second opinion under the 'Patients Charter for England and Wales'....

• Posted

I have now seen a third doctor and asked to be re tested as im getting very depressed as i believe the HP is still there, it was october i got the eradication therapy and still suffering from everything i was before the eradication therapy if not worse, i'm not sleeping good, wake up with brain fog almost as if im detached and im exhausted but yet again this other doctor believes its done and dusted i got eradication therapy and now is about recovery, i have lost weight and do vomit after meals, i was told to try a liquid diet for a week or so and got put on drinks called fresubin juice and anti sickness tablets.

i tried mixing apple flavour with fresh apple juice to disguise the taste and i could not drink any of them, i called my gp to see if there is a possibility of changing this product as the taste alone makes me sick and the receptionist said hardly likely as these cost the NHS alot of money.

so i felt quite embarrassed and angered by that and just left it, I have never seen any of them tell the methadone line that they are not getting their prescription as it costs the NHS alot of money, and the drinks were only for 30 days not a re-occurring thing.

i dont see what the big issue is in retesting me rather than masking the problem by giving me drinks, anti sickness tablets, anti depressants and most recently tablets for pain and insomnia which i refused.

I live in scotland i forgot to mention, i really dont want any prescription from them other than what is needed for recovery of my gut.

Sorry if it seems like a rant, its just frustration lol

thank you for you're time, i appreciate all the advice

• Posted

Hi jo93594

You may still have HP plus after effects of 3 course antibiotics which can kill off good gut bacteria and interfere with your gut flora. You may have stomach candida along with HP. You need to see another doctor who will test you for HP again and stomach candida which is caused by taking a lot of strong antibiotics. Those involved in the 3 course treatment of HP are very powerful antibiotics....have you tried taking probiotics to put good bacteria back into your gut. Instead of having meals can you not make fruit and veggie smoothies to get nutrition....you can google to see what fruits and veg to use for good digestion....

• Posted

hi mary, thank you for the reply and suggestions.

i have purchased many herbal supplements some for treating h.pylori naturally and some for healing the gut after h.pylori which consists of monolaurin capsules, mastika gum, black seed oil, bee propolis and a pro biotic. i just bought all them as they had helped various people with HP and Gastritis from what i read online, but not sure whither to take them all or only the ones that help the gut after HP because i wouldnt know that answer because of not getting re tested so at this moment im not taking any anymore.

i did try smoothies which consisted of kefir, water, banana, strawberry, protein powder and oats, the reasoning for the oats and protein powder was because i was a frequent gym goer and i was also losing weight, but stopped going to the gym because of no energy and pain and something in that smoothie was making the constipation worse may have been oats or banana not sure, so along with the gym i gave up on the supplements and smoothies.

it may be a good idea to try again and have a smoothie for breakfast, at the moment i eat 1 meal at night. but in terms of the supplements i have purchased to try help myself i have no idea what ones to take, all or any.

• Posted

Hi jo93594

If i were you i would stick with probiotics and yogurt with cultures to enhance your gut flora also have your smoothies without oats and banana. Not just fruit but veggie smoothies too such as carrot, beets, avocado, cucumber, celery and a bit of fresh ginger with plain yogs or almond milk. Use squeezed lemon juice and small teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water each morning before eating for your stomach pH balance and body alkalinity (google body alkalinity). It may be the AB's have left your gut flora very low by killing off the good bacteria you need to put it back with the probiotics and yogurt with cultures.....don't use anything else at the moment except probiotics, yog cultures and fruit/veg smoothies, water and warm green tea...try these and see if there is any improvement, but give it a few months. If there is no change go back to your doctor and insist on another HP test. Write down all your symptoms and what you are taking to try and eliminate the symptoms and take all your notes with symptoms, nutrition,days, dates and times with you for your doctor to read. If i have reason to see my doc, which i have had recently for sinus problems, i always take notes of my symptoms etc., and my doctor likes to have the notes and uploads them onto my file....i do hope you can get some relief....

• Posted

Bananas can bung you up; could be the bananas that caused the constipation.

• Posted

Hi joe93594

Forgot to mention in my last reply, try the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice for a week or so and if there is no improvement with your symptoms stop taking it. Reason being HP can thrive in an acidic environment because they release Urea which helps HP survive, if the HP has not been completely eradicated it could survive in your normally acidic gut...So you are in a bit of a catch 22 situation not knowing if it's HP causing yr problems or the after effects of the antibiotics.....anyway see how you go.....keep us posted....

• Posted

thank you both for the replies, its becoming very depressing living with it and the feeling that nothing is helping, i've also tried probiotics, monolaurin, aloe vera, propolis, black seed oil, mastika and absolute nothing has helped in the slightest,

I see a different doctor after the new year so will try again for some more help

• Posted

Hi Joe,

You can look for reviews on some medicines like pylori-plex, ibarogast and mastic-gum. I did not use them myself, but read the good reviews. I actually want to use them once though but they are not available in my country.

In my case fortunately the triple therapy showed the effect. However I sometimes feel a bit of movement still, which is however quite less that what it used to happen before the medicine.

So nowadays I am trying various pro-biotics.

My advice is not to go for alcohol if you have a bad stomach, it can flare up your problems which you will regret later. Try to get it solved as first priority before consuming any junk.

You should get it retested. Because what I know is h-pylori naturally occurs in human gut. It's higher number that creates problem. So, if the number is same, that means probably the medicine did not work. But if numbers are insignificant, that probably means you may some other problem, not h-pylori.

• Posted

Doctors these days are now often unwilling to prescribe antibiotics because of antibiotic resistance; this may be another reason why your doctor doesn't want to retest in case you do need antibiotics that he doesn't want to prescribe. I would keep seeing different doctors and keep insisting on a retest. I have had to see different doctors in the past because no one could diagnose my abdominal pain.

• Posted

yeah, no one diagnosed my problem either for 2 years i was led to believe it was IBS but strangely i had blood tests, stool and breath test and h pylori never showed up hence why they said IBS but with pain getting gradually worse i ended u getting a endoscopy and only thing that caught the HP was biopsy.

• Posted

Your best bet is to keep being persistent in asking for an HP retest if you still have symptoms. Sometimes you have to be your own advocate with your health. You know your own body.

• Posted

hi joe, I had h-pylori, and was given the triple therepy ,afterwards i too felt it was still there, but my gp said it was too soon to get retested, as the antibodies can live in the body for six months or more, so i might get a false reading...like its still there, when its not, it took me a long time to get my stomach nearly normal, as even now, it hurts sometimes, there are foods i can eat, and some i cant touch, like spicy foods,..and onions, a good probiotic helps the stomach ...drinking hot water soothes the stomach ,first thing in the morning before breakfast, even better if you mix a tsp manuka honey with it..I found great relief with this...give it time, watch what you eat and drink...you will get there....there is loads of info on youtube about this...but it is too soon to be retested, wait at least 8 months...i never got retested yet....and i was diagnosed last summer..

• Posted

8 months, really? i was always told a re-test should be done 4 or more weeks after eradication therapy so maybe thats why they wont retest me as it is too early.

eating is a big problem at the moment.. have no idea what to eat or rather scared to eat as everything i look at ingredient wise has something i'm told to avoid.

used to eat alot of chicken and rice, dont know why but was just a favourite meal combination for me i'd just add different sauces each time but now i can't do that as sauces contain things i should avoid, i cant find any sauces i can eat at the moment... used to use nando's sauces but there spicy and the ones thats not spicy are acidic.

i love you're suggestions nevertheless i will try the hot water and honey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.