H pylori test kit

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor because of my ongoing hiatus hernia/acid reflux problem today prescribed me this test kit. Its something I can do myself and then send off for analysis.

Looking at the instructions however it states that to get accurate results I need to not take anti acids for two weeks before using it.

Now given without using them I get severe pain this will be almost impossible for me to do so can I ask if anyone else as had this problem and because of it took the test whilst using anti acids and if they did, did they receive accurate results from the analysis

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ted

I have had H Pylori and upon the retest the doctor informed me not to take my lanzaprozal for 2 weeks as this would effect the results.

Given I suffer acid reflux quite bad I was reluctant to come off the tablets however the doctor prescribed me with 500mg of Gaviscon and told me to take as many as I need each day or when I can feel the reflux starting.

I did suffer once I came off lanzaprozal but the gaviscon tablets helped. Not ideal but I managed.

• Posted

Thanks Mark

I am using liguid Gaviscon during the night so I amy try using it during the day as well.

Afer last night I took a Lanso this morning but I will try again

Ted

• Posted

Hi ted41159

Whether you take the HPylori test yourself, or doc takes it or hospital you will have to stop antacids for 2 weeks. Your digestive system and duodenum and intestines have to be clear of medication to obtain an accurate test result. Easier said than done, but its better to put up with acid reflux and pain for two weeks than for a longer length of time if you do not take the test. If the results are +ve for HP then you can look forward to being treated for it and an end to your severe pain.......best wishes for a speedy diagnosis....

• Posted

Thanks Lilian as I have said to Mark i will try and do it again.

You lady's are so much stronger when it come to things like this.

After last night I also realised that I really do have to stop dipping into the biscuit tin as well because I need to lose weight.

Ted

• Posted

Spot on concern, (is it a stool sample you will send off?)

You say you take anti acids, but which ones please?

- PPI? (Meprazole, Esomeprazole, Lanzaprazole, Rabeprazole, Pantoprazole )

- H2 Receptor Anatagonists? (Cimetidine, Famotidine, Ranitidine, Nizatidine)

- Antacids? (Mylanta, Gaviscon)

The typical antacids (Mylanta, Gaviscon) do not change the sensitivity of the h.pylori test (breath and stool),

whereas Proton pump inhibitors do for sure and must be avoided best for 2 weeks. (H2 Receptor Antagonists better to be avoided as well)

Also no antibiotic treatment should have occured weeks prior testing.

Hope that helps!

• Posted

Thanks Sanya I am on Lanzaprozole and Ranitidine

I will try and heed to Mark and Lilians advice as well

Ted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.