H. Pylori test with Nexium ??? False Result ???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I recently had an endoscopy done but I wasn't told that I shouldn't take Nexium or anything beforehand! I never took it long term, just once every couple weeks if I was heaving heartburn. 

So three days before my endoscopy I took a 40 mg one and then 3 days later I had biopsy done to check for h. pylori and it came back negative. I forgot to tell my doctor that I took one nexium caplet 3 days before-do you think this could have produced a false negative? I've also been on probiotics for 2 weeks while this test took place too. Is this something I should bring up with GI doctor to see if she wants to retest?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes.
    • Posted

Oh jeez, I guess I was celebrating the fact that I was negative for no reason! My GI doctor never even asked me if I took Nexium or anything like that before the test-and because I had only taken one pill, I didn't think it would have effected the results too much. Now I will have to contact her and ask to retest-I guess maybe a blood test since I doubt they will do endoscopy again. 

• Posted

I think you should mention a retest to your GI because you are supposed to be off PPIs for at least two weeks before an endoscopy to ensure an accurate result.
    • Posted

Okay got it, thank you. I will tell her. Do you think (just as a friendly opinion) one PPI pill would have a huge difference since I don’t take them regularly? 

I’m just afraid because I had mild inflammation and if infact I do have h.pylori, I am scared of it to turn to cancer so I wanted to take care of it ASAP, but I can’t see my GI for another two weeks. 

• Posted

One PPI may not make much difference, but to be sure, ask your GI. I woudn’t worry about any other more serious complications arising from h pylori if you have it because the worst case scenario may never happen and h pylori can be treated.
  • Posted

3 days before stopped and test done on the 4th day

or

3 days before stopped and test done on that day 3 within the 72hours?

First one it should be fine.

You need a 72h gap minimum after taking any PPI, no matter how long beforehand.

PPI work directly onto pylori's metabolism.

Mostly 72hours is enough, in studies the one or other only get's positive after 14 days.

Hence the recommondation of 14 days gap between PPI and breath or biopsy test.

As you didn't take it long beforehand, a 72h between taking and testing should be fine.

Second one - if you took the PPI AND had the test before 72hours lapsed - you need a repeat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.