H pylori what is it any why do you get it

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been for an endoscopy and thy said that thy took a biopsy and thy are 80% sure I have h pylori but I don't no what it is or why I have it or anything

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi jacqui1980

HPylori is a stomach bacteria that lives in the duodenum and stomach. It can cause acid reflux, stomach pain and diahorrea and nausea. It is very common and a percentage of the population are not aware they have it as some have no symptoms. The treatment for HPylori is a three course antibiotic..

• Posted

Thank u for explaining it to me so think now maybe a bit if the sadation might have worked as can not remember them telling me anything
    • Posted

If you have sedation, they are not supposed to give you all the info straight after the procedure in case you can’t take anything in after the sedation.  They are supposed tell you at a later follow up appointment!
  • Posted

H pylori is a stomach bacteria that can cause nausea, acid reflux, bloating, burping and diarrhoea. Some people don’t realise they have it because they have no symptoms.  It is very common. It can cause ulcers and gastritis.  Treatment involves a triple course of antibiotics.  I am surprised your doctor has not explained all this to you; they should have done.  My doctor prints out a leaflet about the condition he has diagnosed.

• Posted

I only found out I had it because I had the endoscopy otherwise the doctors did not no why I was always being admitted
    • Posted

Hi jacqui1980

Your doctor only had to do a simple breath test or stool test to find out if you had HPylori....sometimes a blood test is carried out but does not always show in a blood test. The othwr test is endoscopy which you have had...

• Posted

Yes I am going tomoz to the doctor to get antibiotics but the lady who did the endoscopy said I will need a breath test after the antibiotics I did not even no what it was before lol but with this I have also got gastritis and had to take ranitidine for it but even though I have taken it for a few weeks it still shown up on my endoscopy so don't no why it has not gone

• Posted

Hi jacqui1980

The gastritis will take some time to heal as the HPylori would have made your gut really sore. You may have to change your diet for a while until your gut heals as some foods irritate your gut when you have gastritis...change to less rich foods and acidic foods to help the healing process. In order to find out what foods and drinks irritate your stomach keep a food diary..also the 3 course antibiotics may irritate your gut aswell......

• Posted

I have been getting eggy burps also could this be to do with what is going in with my stomach. And I have been getting very bad pains like labour but different bit like braxton hicks and I have ended up in hospital a few times because I never new I had it could it if been missed wud this explain all the pains or cud that be something else
    • Posted

Hi jacqui1980

Yes, HPylori causes the type of burping you mention and stomach cramps and pain...discuss it with your doctor..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.