Habituation, headphones, and tinitus

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have had ringing in my left ear that was considerably loud to the point where I can still hear it when playing on my headphones. I know the cause is loud noise based. So far the ringing I think is gone(or really quiet) from my left ear but is still there in my right ear, although the ringing is not intrusive. How does habituation feel? How long does it take on average? Is it similar to before tinnitus? In my case, is habituation possible? Is habituation automatically implemented by the brain? Or is it by mental toughness? Or both? Also, my doctor has said to not use head or ear phones for at least a week to see what happens. Online I have seen that people with tinnitus that was probably due to loud noise should never wear ear or head phones. Is that true? Since I have also seen that people said you can use headphones but on low volume.

Thank you for reading!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

well i know how you feel .. Going through same thing .(it been 1 year since i got tinnitus)

well habituation takes time .. It took me 4 months to get habitual and yes we should use headphones and earphones very less but i do use it because its the only way to feel a bit happy for me .

The thing that i do is hear it in less sound (basically the limit that my phone suggest)

And save yourself from loud noise and stress because it gets louder everytime for me when i hear loud noise and have some kind of stress.

Moreover its very stressful at times that you tend to get into depression and i still struggle with this .

But try to be very positive about life and be happy and do what you like .

I am still struggling with it no doubt but i always try to be happy and try to find positive stuff .

Hearing music from headphones is one of the thongs that makes me happy and hence i hear music from it but in limit.

One of my doctor told me to hear songs and radio at night so i can sleep but he also told me to hear it in normal sound .

Best of luck and here to help anytime .

• Posted

when you say less, do you mean the volume or the time or both? Which should be more focused on? Also how does habitation feel?

• Posted

Habituation doesn't feel like anything it's something that happens over time automatically, you are still aware of the tinnitus but it may bother you less, just something you learn to live with.

• Posted

Both ... Low level sound and try to listen music only when necessary .

Also if there is unwanted outside noise (like traffic or something that's loud , it is better to hear music that time as well.

Also music helps you deal with stress .. And stress can raise the tinnitus .so even that time when you feel stressful , listen to music .

But don't over do it .

• Posted

Habituation just means eventually you sort of get used to the Tinnitus, like a ticking clock type thing, once you get Tinnitus it may go or might not go, it can be permanent, if you have tinnitus I've found loud noise can increase it so does stress etc, I've had tinnitus for 23 years in both ears, noise induced probably through work and going to night clubs, tinnitus isn't really in the ears it the brain not switching off, over stimulation, many things can cause tinnitus, illness, excessive loud noise, stress, etc.

• Posted

So should I never use headphones? Also, is your tinnitus intrusive?

• Posted

Hi, I personally wouldn't use headphones because blocking my ears would raise the tinnitus level, I suppose you could use them maybe not loud though, my tinnitus is always there but not really intrusive now, because I've had it for years I just ignore it, it's a sort of mindset you really have to try to ignore it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.