Had 1st post op appoint yesterday

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey all just my 1st post op appoint yesterday. Had ORIF on 8/31. Thought I'd be getting a hard cast yesterday but doc had decided to keep removable cast or splint on and not go with hard cast because of swelling. He removed the staples and sutures that he could. Cleaned and rebandaged the incisions and sent me on my merry way. Said I'll be non weight bearing for another 6 weeks. I got to say this is the most challenging experience I've had had to deal with being more or less bed ridden. Anyway hope everyone is doing well.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like my app't. I had tar...two weeks ago. They removed stitched,taped back up and put me in a air cast boot,and said still four more weeks of non weight baring...ugh

• Posted

Hi there seems to be so many different ways to treat similar conditions but most people seem to be around 12 weeks before life gets back to completely normal (working and driving) can you not get around on crutches as I was very wobbly at first but have got more confident, going downstairs on my bum is easy but I've started going up them on my knees , feel like one of the seven dwarfs but less effort than hopping up . Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Keith for sharing. I had three surgeries and a complete ankle reconsructuon. Very painful. This was four months ago and still feel the pins and needles.

Waiting for a neurologist to contact me. This has certainly not been easy. As a single mom with a teenager. I just pray a lot for anyone undergoing anything related to ankles.

A PT who was most kind, gave me a very inexpensive recipe: 1 cup rubbing alcohol and two cups water. Freeze in double zip lock bags. Wrap a towel and ice your foot.

There are all sorts of painkillers, but they messed up my stomach. As of four months, I really want to cry at points. I wanted to start a new medication, gabapentin, but it was so strong, after one pill, knocked me out. For me right now is waiting and icing my foot.

It numbs the pain while the nerve endings reconstruct.

It happened so fast that there was no time to react.

Blessings your way, M

• Posted

Yea I've been on gabapentin for aniexty already. The drug has many uses. I'm almost at the point where I'm ready to order pain meds from the black market. Dont need them everyday but when I need them the pain is that bad. I'm not happy at all with the surgeon I was assigned but unfortunately I'm stuck with him cuz no other surgeon will look at me cuz they didn't perform the surgery. Some days pain isn't manageable and doc won't write me for any more narcotics.

• Posted

Sounds like you need to find a pain center

Near you to help with your pain.in so sorry .I hope you find help soon

• Posted

I feel your frustration. I had surgery on 23rd August and am still non weight bearing. Some days I think that this is just a challenge that I have to rise to. Other days like today I feel down and depressed and everything is too much effort. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.