had a A&P Repair on 26 th May

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been having some discharge is this right and how long would it be before I can have a bath ,rather then a shower 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello Christine your consultant should have give you this information but obviously hasn't so it's usually around 6 weeks.
    • Posted

Hi Matron,

Is that six weeks of showering? Like Christine I haven't been given any information regarding baths/ showers. Also think it's unusual that I'm keeping catheter in for a week? Have to return on Monday to have a TWOC, hoping it's all OK as finding the catheter the most uncomfortable part of whole experience 😕

• Posted

If you haven't been given any advice after 6 weeks of showering it's ok to have a bath. Don't worry about your catheter being in for a week because they won't want to have to insert it again if you are still having problems because it increases the risk of infection.
    • Posted

I had  a catheter in for a week after my op was told it's not  unusual ,but this site is very helpful ,don't know what I would of done without the help of everyone  who as give me good advice  thank you 
  • Posted

When I came out of hospital I also had catheter still in. I was told by nurse on ward that I could bath/shower as normal so I had a bath within a week of op with nothing added to water and it was fine. Then I had doubts so rang and spoke to consultants secretary and she said it was ok too. X
    • Posted

A lot depends on the type of sutures that are used so if you aren't told 6 weeks is about the right time.
    • Posted

To be honest the thought of swinging my legs into a bath brings tears my eyes! am more than happy to shower as bending also a bit tricky. Just find it interesting that there is so little information available

I did ask before I left hospital if there were any leaflets I could have and was told none were available . This site is a life saver, even though I work in healthcare I don't have any gyne/ urology experience. Thank you to Matron and all the other site members for helpful hints, info and tips 😀

• Posted

It's very sad elaine that the hospital had no information/leaflets available and that's something myself and other colleagues are hoping to change.  If you can't bear getting into the bath then don't. Please don't put yourself into a difficult situation and it doesn't matter what branch of healthcare you work we can't be experts in everything x
    • Posted

I agree. All my I for was for my hysterectomy and tvt and nothing for repair. This made me very frustrated considering that was the more major or all the ops and the most damaging if not careful. Take it easy and listen to your body. Pain for me has meant slow down and rest. X
    • Posted

Yes I had read on here and on nhs sites about avoiding a bath after is had a bath and that's why I rang hospital to check. No idea what sutures I had. Would be mortified that I could have done damage due to not getting correct advice on leaving hospital.
  • Posted

I had discharge for about 4-4.5 weeks and I was told everything healed well and was fine.  You can get bacterial vaginosis or a yeast infection so it's good to know the signs of those, but I don't think just having discharge is bad at this point.  I think I had BV.  I told my doctor at my 2 week check and she took a swab and gave me a prescription.  I noticed a very strong smell when I undressed to sit on the toilet and it went away after the suppositories.

I was told not to have a bath for 6 weeks.  Like matron said, if you weren't told anything 6 weeks is a safe bet.  It won't hurt anything to wait and people aren't told to wait longer than 6 weeks.  You can ask your doctor if you really want a bath and are hoping you are allowed to have one.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice ,think I will wait for six weeks the have a lovely bath ,I was not told or given any info ,so thought I would ask on this site ,my discharge as a strong smell is that right 
    • Posted

It can be a sign of BV but I'm not sure how strong is too strong.  I thought it was too much and told my doctor when I came in.  If I didn't have an appointment, I'm not sure if I would have called.  Maybe. It's definitely something a normal GP could take care of but I would be kind of scared (perhaps wrongly) of having them check things out very soon after an op.

If you are worried, you could call your urogyn or make an appt with your GP.

• Posted

Hi Christine. I had my op on 10th may (5 1/2 weeks ago) and still have discharge on and off sometimes especially days when I've went out or exerted myself.
  • Posted

Each doctor is different. My doctor said 3 months, but I had complications so it's been 8 month's. Don't rush it kiddo. The discharge could be yeast but I would seek medical attention soon. Best odd luck love

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.