Had a cold/chest infection now have diarreah! :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all - I suffer with irritable bowel and have done for a few years the last 7 weeks have been quite hellish, basically diarreah and not digesting my food until more recently when I went back on to a digestive enzyme with Betain HCL. All great, until I get a cold that turns into a chest infection, which means I'm laid up in bed with no appetite so I continue taking the digestive enzymes and probiotics to try and rid the plague and day 5 (today) I have an enormous diarreah which makes me collapse (due to lack of eating / blood pressure etc). I've been about 5 times, all watery and I'm wondering if taking the digestive enzymes on a potentially empty stomach (3 x per day) could have caused this? Does anyone have any nuggets of advice? I've been trawling the internet for hours to no avail x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I wouldn't know about taking them but if you are collapsing then you need to seek medical advice as you could be dehydrating 

I hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

Hi Nicola

Mmmmm! I think most people have or have had this awful virus i did twice.I just drank water to keep hydrated if yr not eating anything then maybe leave out the tablets.Call yr G.P as you will get to talk to someone on the emergency line.They will advise you.You may need hospital treatment if yr blood is low can be dangerous.Do you have someone with you that can mayb make the call if you are too weak.Hope you get some help.

• Posted

Thanks Susan, yeah, the chest infection has been horrible and haven't slept in about 4 days sad I spoke with NHS Direct (111) today and the lovely doctor told me to lay off the digestive enzymes and probiotics and eat little bits preferably sugary food, drink plenty, take Imodium. So I've managed to make it to the shop to get some (scary business!!) I'm hoping to be able to have normal poops STAT! :D
    • Posted

Jolly good Nicola glad you got some peace of mind.I introduced small amount's of bland food and felt much better.Banana's first then chicken and brown rice, very boring but brown rice is very good for digestive disorders i was amazed as i never really ate rice before.Hope thing's improve real soon.
  • Posted

Hi Nicola,

I too have been suffering with constant diarreah for the last year. My sister in the west coast of Canada heard about my rumblings. She suggested me taking a pill I had never heard of. It's called "Bentonite Clay". When she and my Dad were on a cruise last spring they too suffered from diarreah. They were given the pills to take for it. It worked wonders for both her and Dad. She said that my Dad who lives in the same city as me had some left over and I should give him a call... she thought he might have some left over. And he did. I tried them and my diarreah went away. I let her know of my success. She then went on to say that she knew how to make them herself and she would mail me a month's supply. I have kept using them and my diarreah is gone. As long as I don't overdose on coffee. You see, coffee acts as a laxative. If you can, try to stay away from drinking coffee as well. Yet, I find that if I give in to my addiction to coffee, all I have to do is take an extra Bentonite Clay capsule and there is no diarreah. I don't know where you live, but try doing a Google search and maybe try ordering them off the net. If that doesn't work, check your local health food store and see if they've heard of this supplement. It works great !!!

• Posted

Hiya - thank you so much for coming back to me. I have heard of using clay before but never have - so will definitely look in to it. This constant pooping needs to stop! smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.