Had a dizzy spell again, what should I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I have another post here from a few months ago detailing my vertigo experiences. In spring 2017 I had a vertigo attack lasting a few seconds after waking up, but went back to feeling normal within a day or two. I had a second vertigo attack in May 2018 that also lasted a few seconds after I woke up, but afterwards I felt off balanced, had fullness in my right ear (like i couldn't pop it) and have not gotten back to feeling 'normal' in months. I am definitely a lot better than I was in May, but I sometimes still suffer from feeling unbalanced and the inability to pop my ear (especially when I am anxious or stressed). Today I was at work and was standing up and suddenly felt like the room was swaying a bit when I looked up. It lasted a few seconds and went away. Was this vertigo again but with no room spinning? I have been told that it could either be BPPV or eustachian tube dysfunction causing my vertigo. However, I do not believe it is BPPV as after the two vertigo attacks I had, head movement did not bring the vertigo again. I could move my head in basically any direction and would not get vertigo afterwards. But the second time I got vertigo, I found that putting my right ear down on a pillow would cause me to slightly feel like the room moved side to side but I am not sure if that was caused by my anxiety from getting vertigo a second time. Should I go to the doctors again? What should I ask to get tested? I had a hearing test before but everything was normal. Could this be early Menieres disease? Has anyone with Menieres disease first start off with vertigo attacks lasting only a few seconds? Also I have tinnitus at night or in the morning when it is very quiet. Any advice on how to cure this will be GREATLY appreciated. I am only 20 and this is really taking a toll on my life.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sophie,

Your symptoms do sound like BPPV; if I were you I would go back to your doctor and ask him to perform an Epley manoeuvre. If symptoms are due to BPPV this may help. With regard to your tinnitus, if it hasn't got worse over the last six months I shouldn't worry about it too much for now.

If your symptoms are due to a problem with a Eustachian tube you might get relief from chewing gum regularly.

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.