Had a dry socket and now got pain in my jaw

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a tooth out on the 18/12/16 and Ended up with a dry socket , it didn't heal so my dentist scraped some bone and debris out of the socket and then put dressings in . This went on for three weeks and it still wasn't healing it turns out I'm allergic to the dressings so had to let the dry socket heal with no dressing in . It's been two weeks now and the bone is covered but the hole just does not seem to be healing !! I have terrible pain on the inside of my jaw where my tongue is and it's lumpy and painful ! My gums feel swollen but my dentist says they are not . But to me they feel constantly swollen and painful ! I was put back on a different antibiotic on Friday amoxiclav and I feel dreadful ! Anyone else suffered like this please ? Any advise as I have had enough now

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison,

?I'm curious to see if your gum and jaw are healed now, as its been six months nearly.  I had to have a coronectomy on a lower back wisdom tooth on my left side and I had severe dry socket, my gum gets red and swollen over the socket alot and the jaw bone behind it is still exposed.  Its been three months since the op, but I've had nothing but pain and problems, anti-biotics, mainly amoxcillin as the others cause me more harm than good.  I have to go back and see my own dentist, but I have had one scan and its not touching the second molar.  Whats a pain is they're never in depth scans of the root, so my informed choices were made upon the consultants discretion, and I don't want it done again, but I'm getting so much more pain on my right hand side with an erupted tooth, I think I might explode in agony if it doesn't get treated soon, and I would have to have the same surgeon doing it, who has only been doing it for five years, as opposed to the lies he's given me.         

• Posted

Mine is still ongoing had it opened up twice now and cleaned out !! Have antibiotics and as soon as I'm off them it starts again I'm in agony all the time with swelling and pain under my tongue and gums it's horrible

• Posted

What no one explains is you've never had a tooth out before, at what stage can you expect peridontal healing to get better?

?I'm unsure if its age related as I'm not far off of thirty now, and am only acting on the problem thats occured now, and I'm trying to come to terms with my pain management, like you say, its ok with anti-biotics, worse off.  I think long term antibiotic therapy on the one hand should help,but can affect other organs no doubt.  Normally, bone is supposed to cover the socket and also cover the roots, in my case.  I don't think its healed over yet, but usually the time frame is nine months for case by case reviews.  Being nhs though, could mean I'll be waiting a lifetime for my dentist to refer me should this case unfold.

?Worried about having right molar extracted fully.  The amounts of painkillers were ridiculous, I lost the blood clot too last time, needed more sutures.

?I don't like the thought that dental surgeons however qualified don't abide to this method.  'Let the hole heal naturally'.   What happens if you bleed out?

• Posted

My pain thresh hold is no joke today.  I am struggling to remain focused, the rght wisdom tooth is cutting into my gum at what it feels like, such speed, I could literally be punching someone in the face, who really got on my nerves.

?I've got o much pain as the root is twisted right round the nerve, and I am definitey beginning to think that the damage is not going to be minimal but rather irreversible, as he's bound to hit a nerve.  Do i have faith?  not one for taking risks really, and based on the years of experience he has, I'd say its him or nothing or risk longer waits on the NHS.  After we leave the E.U we're all gonna be shafted for care so I am cracking onto this one day at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.